Eli Minton: Year 5

She hurtled past classrooms, empty or no, and up stairs, barely remembering to skip the trick ones. She's about halfway through the turn around the corner when she barreled into someone's chest.

"Woah!" Said person stumbled back in surprise, steadying her. "What's up with you?"

"Sorry, sorry!" Amisty gasped, her face flushing with embarrassment. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I should've paid attention to where I was -- "

Her voice died in her throat, however, as she looked up.

"H-hi," She breathed, her heart skipping a beat.

He was, for lack of a better term, gorgeous. Brown hair swept up above his head in messy curls, a few loose strands curling down across his forehead. Blue-green eyes sparkled in the torch lighting, a dimple in his left cheek as his pink lips quirked up in a grin.

"You were saying?"

Amisty's cheek flushed pink, "Yes, sorry. I really should've been paying attention to where I was going... uh..."

"Oh, sorry," He grinned, holding out a hand. "Eli, erm... Eli Minton. And you are?"

"Amisty River," She smiled hesitantly, shaking it and failing to calm her heartbeat. "I haven't -- um -- seen you around before?"

"I usually stay out of the way, except, well, now," He scratched the back of his neck.

Amisty tore her gaze away from his dimples.

"If you don't mind me asking... why exactly were you running through the hallways looking like you were about to murder someone?"

Her smile slipped right off her face, and she shoved her wrist behind her back to hide the glowing bracelet. "I just got a detention from Professor Umbridge, she sent me out of class. And, um, why are you walking through the hallways?"

"Technically, I'm supposed to be in Charms right now but... it's my worst class so I tend to try and make myself scarce during it," He shrugged sheepishly.

Amisty jumped, immediately feeling guilty, "Oh, I don't want to keep you up if you're -- "

"No, no," He cut her off immediately, wincing. "I'll just take up the extra homework, besides..." He smiled that smile again and Amisty's heart raced, "I think I'd like to hear how someone as nice as you got a detention."

She couldn't manage to fight down her grin, the compliment making her cheeks warm, "Fine."

They took a seat down against the wall and every time Eli's elbow grazed hers, her breathing stuttered.

'Get a hold of yourself, Amisty River, you are getting flustered over a boy you've just met!' She scolded herself internally, giving her head a little shake.

"Where do you want me to start?" She asked.

"The beginning, I guess?" He offered, leaning against his knees as he watched her attentively. "What was she doing?"

Amisty took a deep breath and explained as much as she could without tearing her teeth out. All the while, Eli listened with such focus and intensity it almost took her mind off her anger at the wicked woman.

"You know, Amisty -- woah, wait," He stopped suddenly, "is it alright if I call you that? You can call me Eli if you like."

Amisty's lip twitched at his politeness, her cheeks pinkening again, "Yeah, feel free."

"Okay well, Amisty," He smiled, "I think you did the right thing, standing up to her. I mean, yeah, you got a detention, but she insulted your mother and you did what anyone else would have done in your position. I know I certainly would have acted the same way."