Into The Forest: Year 1

Amisty's attention went back to the group, green eyes losing a small part of the blaze that was in them.

Emphasis on the word small.

"I'm not going in that forest," Malfoy declared to Hagrid, a tint of alarm in his voice to Amisty's amusement.

"Yeh are if yeh want ter stay at Hogwarts. You've done wrong an' now yeh've got ter pay fer it," Hagrid replied forcefully.

"But this is servant stuff, it's not for students to do. I thought we'd be copying lines or something, if my father knew I was doing this, he'd --" He started.

"-- tell yer that's how it is at Hogwarts. Copyin' lines! What good's that ter anyone? Yeh'll do summat useful or yeh'll get out. If yer father'd rather you were expelled, then get back off ter the castle an' pack. Go on!" Hagrid snarled back.

Draco didn't reply, though his usual cool grey eyes were now the color of charcoal.

"Right then, now listen carefully, 'cause it's dangerous what we're gonna do tonight, an' I don' want no one takin' risks. Follow me over here a moment," Hagrid lead them over to the edge of the forest, is lamp illuminating a long narrow path that looked like it never ended.

A ghostly breeze ruffled their hair, and their eyes glowed unearthly in the darkness.

"Look here, see that stuff shinin' on the ground? Silvery stuff?" He asked, pointing at a gleaming liquid that splattered the trees, "That's unicorn blood. There's a unicorn in there bin hurt badly by summat. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday. We're gonna try an' find the poor thing. We might have ter put it out of its misery,"

Amisty felt her heart stop in her chest, what kind of creature would kill a unicorn. A chill went down her spine, and she shivered involuntarily.

Hopefully it went by unnoticed.

"And what if whatever hurt the unicorn finds us first?" Draco asked, and Amisty found herself wanting to hear the answer as well.

"There's nothin' that lives in the forest that'll hurt yeh if yer with me or Fang." He replied. "An' keep ter the path. Right, now we're gonna split inter two parties an' follow the trail in diff'rent directions. There's blood all over the place, it must've bin staggerin' around since last night at least."

"I want Fang," Draco announced, his eyes drawn to the boarhounds yellowed pointed teeth.

"All right, but I'll warn yeh, he's a coward. So me, Harry, an' Neville'll go one way an' Draco, Amisty, an' Fang'll go to the other," Amisty sent a wide eyed look at Harry, her displeasure with the situation very clear. "Now, if any of us finds the unicorn, we'll send up green sparks, right? Get yer wands out an' practice now -- that's it -- an if anyone gets in trouble, send up red sparks, an' we'll all come an' find yeh -- so, be careful -- let's go."

Amisty groaned internally, before grudgingly turning back to face Draco and Fang.

Anger and frustration were very very tame words in comparison to what she was feeling at the moment.

"Look's like I'm stuck with you," She growled lowly, glaring daggers at the platinum haired boy.

"I could say the same to you, freak," He snapped back before getting roughly shoved by Fang.

Amisty didn't even try to conceal her laugh, patting the dog on the head in praise.

"Let's just go," Draco groaned after regaining his balance.

Amisty nodded, walking right into the darkness with only a millisecond of hesitance.

Wariness sent her stomach into knots as she went farther in, suddenly losing the confidence she once had.