Unraveling The Truth: Year 1

She didn't feel tired, and yet there she was.

Lying on her bed in the middle of the night with her raven black hair splayed around her head like a long, flowing crown.

Her green eyes were glowing in the dim lighting of the silvery moonlight that spilled through the arched windows into the dormitory.

Holiday break was over, and the other girls were sleeping soundly, not a peep leaving their lips.

But Amisty couldn't even close her eyes.

The blanket was tangled in her legs, her hot and cold flashes the causing of it. Sweat glistened on her forehead, and her chest heaved up and down with her fast paced uneven breathing.

A dream she had moments before forcing her out of the dream world in the middle of the night.

"Cursed, why can't I go to sleep," Amisty muttered to herself, staring up at the velvet canopy above her bed.

She couldn't even bring herself yawn, and that's saying something.

She was always tired in classes.

Except now, when she was supposed to be asleep, of course.

Annoyance flickered in her eyes before her attention went elsewhere. The moonlight had shifted, a shadow cutting through the bright light.

The black haired girl sat up against the headboard, watching with intent eyes as the light condensed into the shape of her wolf form.

Silver swirled around in the wolf's pelt, three obsidian black dots in place of its nose and eyes, it's paws dotting off into tiny, sparkling stars.

The wolf leaped up onto Amisty's bed with a single bound and the girl's eyes widened immensely, pupils so dilated they looked black.

She leaned forward, her gaze captured by the little wolf's, and her breath hitched in her throat.

When their noses touched, a brief flash of cold spread from the tip of Amisty's nose to the end of her hair and her toes.

When the wolf pulled away, she felt her eyelids grow heavy and her head fell back onto her pillow.

Sleep overcame her, this time without the terror inducing nightmares, but instead quiet and dreamless. It was a relief.

-=+=-

Amisty sat quietly at the Gryffindor table in Great Hall, pushing her food around her plate.

When she woke up that morning, she felt like she was grasping at straws, except it was fragments of what happened the night before.

Her green gaze wasn't focused on Hermione babbling on and on next to her.

"AMISTY!" The brunette exclaimed, clapping and waving her hands in front of the black haired girl.

"Huh? Yeah, yeah I totally agree, one hundred percent," She replied distractedly, blinking rapidly as she nodded.

"You weren't listening, were you. I wasn't even asking about anything, I was talking about Christmas and your gift," Hermione crossed her arms, the glow in her brown eyes far from amused.

"Heh... Sorry. I've been pretty distracted," She twisted around the golden band that sat snugly on her index finger.

It had become a habit now that she had received the strange gift. Though she was still unbeknownst of who it was from.

"Clearly! It's like you're in a different world or something!" She replied, exasperated.

She was gesturing dramatically and nearly sent her chocolate milk flying across the room.