Noel River: Year 3

The man who had opened looked familiar but a stranger all at the same time, but Amisty couldn't ignore the firm sense of connection.

They surveyed each other in silence, eyes scrutinizing and narrowed.

He had long, messy blonde hair and dark brown eyes, just like the strange woman with the long hair Hermione had pointed out during their second year in the photo album.

And that's when it clicked. She took a harder look at him, traits clicking into place one by one until the entire puzzle was complete.

"D-Dad?" She stammered disbelievingly, staring up at him with eyes as wide as saucers.

She didn't know what to think. Twelve years of nothing and suddenly her father was alive? It couldn't be true.

"Merlin's beard, Amisty, is that you?" He gasped. "Oh, oh of course it is I just can't believe they let you come. Come in, come in."

He stepped aside, letting the speechless girl walk past him into the quaint little cabin.

Her jaw had dropped and she stood in the middle of the house struggling to come up with words to say.

"You've grown up so much since the last time I saw you," Noel exclaimed, pouring two cups of tea and handing one to her.

She took it hesitantly and sat down, glad to have something steady. The warmth of the cup was welcome, heating her fingers from the cold of the outside. As her shock dissipated, it soon twisted into burning anger.

"How long have you been staying here?" She asked, gripping on tight to the ceramic cup in her hands.

"What do you mean?" He asked, not quite catching on to her anger just yet.

"I've been living as an orphan for as long as I can remember, Noel. I thought you were dead. How long have you been staying here?" She repeated, her fury much more apparent.

He heaved a long sigh, not meeting her gaze as he took a seat across from her.

"I've been staying here ever since your mother passed away," He replied softly, taking a long drink of his tea.

"And you left me on the streets to fend for myself after?" Amisty demanded, her stomach clenching painfully.

"No, no! I didn't leave you on the streets, Amisty, what are you talking about?" He asked, eyes wide and shocked.

"Oh, really? So I just happened to be fighting to survive for most of my childhood?" She laughed humorlessly, sipping her tea.

"I left you with my sister. I left you with Haven, you were safe, she was supposed to take care of you," He rubbed the bridge of his nose.

Amisty blinked, trying to think of where she had heard that name before. There was the faintest memory, and the image of the woman with the long brown hair flashed across her vision. That must be her name.

"Why would you even leave in the first place?" She hissed, ignoring the stinging in her eyes.

"It was too dangerous. Echo and I knew too much about the Order, that's why she... that's why she was killed," He closed his eyes, choking on his words. "I didn't want you to get hurt as well, so I left you with Haven."

"I'm your daughter. I grew up thinking my parents were dead," She snarled, slamming her hands on the table. Her teacup rattled dangerously.

"I know, I know, I'm so incredibly sorry. It was selfish of me, but at the time I thought, maybe -- " He started desperately.

"How did Mum die?" She interrupted, her voice losing the edge.