Time-Turners: Year 3

Realization dawned on Hermione, her eyes going very wide, her mouth dropping open slightly, "OH!"

"Now, pay attention. Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor. Thirteenth window from the right of the West Tower. If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life tonight. But remember this, the three of you: You must not be seen. Miss Granger, you know the law -- you know what is at stake... You -- must -- not -- be -- seen," Professor Dumbledore continued, ignoring Amisty and Harry's bewildered expressions.

"I am going to lock you in. It is five minutes to midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

"Good luck?" Harry asked as Professor Dumbledore walked out and closed the door behind him. "Three turns? What's he talking about? What are we supposed to do?"

"Hermione, what's going on -- " Amisty started, turning to the brunette and cutting off at the sight.

She had a Time-Turner dangling on a thin, golden chain.

"Come here. Quick!" She hissed, holding it out. "Here -- " She threw the chain around all three of them. "Ready?"

"What are we doing?" Amisty asked, confused out of her mind as to why Hermione had a Time-Turner in the first place and what they were even doing.

Of course, Hermione didn't reply, just turned the hourglass over three times. Almost instantly, the hospital wing disappeared.

It wasn't a pleasant sensation Amisty was feeling.

Colors flashed by, a steady beat pounded in her ears, what seemed to be wind rushed past her. And then, just as fast as it had started, they were back to normal. There were standing in the entrance hall, but it wasn't night time. Golden sunlight poured in through the open doors.

"Hermione, what -- ?" Harry hissed.

"In here!" She grabbed them both by the wrists, shoving them inside a broom closet and following, slamming the door shut.

"Hermione... what is going on?" Amisty asked sharply, keeping her voice low at the urgency in Hermione's expression.

"We've gone back in time. Three hours back..." She replied as if it were the most simple answer in the world, pulling the chain of the necklace off from around the three of them.

"But -- " Harry started to protest after giving his leg a harsh pinch.

"Shh! Listen! Someone's coming! I think -- I think it might be us!" Hermione warned, pressing her ear against the door. "Footsteps across the hall... yes, I think it's us going down to Hagrid's!"

"Are you telling me that we're here in this cupboard and we're out there too?" Harry whispered, eyes wide.

"Yes. I'm sure it's us. It doesn't sound like more than four people -- er -- three people and a wolf... and we're walking slowly because we're under the Invisibility Cloak -- " Hermione replied. "We've gone down the front steps..."

She took a seat on a bucket, looking very worried. Harry, however, wanted answers.

"Where did you get that hourglass thing?" He asked, staring at the Time-Turner in amazement.

"It's called a Time-Turner and I got it from Professor McGonagall on our first day back. I've been using it all year to get to all my lessons. Professor McGonagall made me swear I wouldn't tell anyone. She had to write all sorts of letters to the Ministry of Magic so I could have one. She had to tell them that I was a model student, and that I'd never, ever use it for anything except my studies... I've been turning it back so I could do hours over again, that's how I've been doing several lessons at once, see? But... I don't understand what Dumbledore wants us to do. Why did he tell us to go back three hours? How's that going to help Sirius?" She explained.