Talking: Year 3/Summer

When one o'clock came around the kind, plump witch who ran the food cart knocked on their compartment door.

They set to work, buying their treats before Ron brought up the question they didn't want to ask.

"D'you think we should wake him up? He looks like he could do with some food," He commented, twiddling her fingers as he nodded toward Professor Lupin.

"Er -- Professor?" Hermione crept closer to the sleeping adult. "Excuse me -- Professor?"

Professor Lupin didn't move, still sleeping soundly.

"Don't worry, dear. If he's hungry when he wakes, I'll be up front with the driver," The witch replied, handing Harry his stack of Cauldron Cakes and Amisty her two Pumpkin Pasties and then she left the compartment.

"I suppose he is asleep? I mean -- he hasn't died, has he?" Ron asked, looking out the compartment door as the witch left.

"No, no, he's breathing," Hermione shook her head, handing Amisty one of the Cauldron Cakes Harry had given them.

She opened it up almost instantly, biting into the sweet with a massive smile on her face. Harry looked at her with a tiny grin, laughing.

A few more hours passed, and rain had started to fall, splattering against the windows of the compartment.

Footsteps had been passing frequently, but with the heavy gait of the ones approaching Amisty knew who it was instantly.

When the door slid open, none of them were surprised to see Malfoy there, flanked as usual by Crabbe and Goyle.

Hermione sent her a knowing look as his silver eyes traveled around the compartment. Both of his goons had grown over the summer as well, with Crabbe being the taller of the two.

"Well, look who it is. Potty and the Weasel," His voice was just the same as it had always been.

As if on cue Crabbe and Goyle laughed coldly.

"I heard your father finally got his hands on some gold this summer, Weasley. Did your mother die of shock?"

Ron leaped to his feet, face already scarlet with anger. Crookshanks's basket went clattering to the floor and Professor Lupin snored softly.

"Who's that?" Malfoy hissed, his gaze flickering toward the Professor and he took a step back.

"New teacher. What were you saying, Malfoy?" Harry cocked his head to the side, crossing his arms.

Malfoy's eyes narrowed, shifting between Harry and the sleeping teacher.

"C'mon," He growled to the two idiots, and they walked out of the compartment.

Hermione gave a well-aimed shove to Amisty's back and she sprawled to the floor. Her recovery was quick, however, and neither of the boys noticed her fall, Ron was too preoccupied with his anger.

"I'm not going to take any crap from Malfoy this year. I mean it. If he makes one more crack about my family, I'm going to get hold of his head and -- " He started, rubbing his knuckles and making a very rude gesture.

Glancing out the compartment door, there was only a glimpse of Malfoy's robes. She didn't have much time.

"Ron, be careful..." Hermione pointed sharply at Professor Lupin, but he still continued to sleep.

"I'm going to make sure they're really gone," Amisty announced, getting to her feet and bracing herself for what was going to happen.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked gently, looking up at her with concern lacing his green eyes. "I can come with you if you want?"