I'm A Witch?!: Year 1/Summer

The sun lay high in the sky that morning, sending rays of warmth across Amisty's face.

She stood, sooner or later she would be caught, maybe this time by a random person walking their dog, or the orphanage owner.

She sighed inwardly, another day of hiding in shadows, scavenging for food, and darting around people.

Carefully, she scanned the area before darting forward into the shadow of a simple house.

She pressed her ear to the side of it, listening to see if anyone was up and moving about.

After being certain that no one was awake, she peeked through the window.

The house was quite extravagant, filled with knickknacks and such, probably owned by a wealthy businessman.

Suddenly, a boy opened a door, from... wait, Amisty's eyes widened, from the bottom of the staircase. Frozen in shock, she barely had time to duck down before he saw her.

"What is he doing under there?" She breathed, tugging on her curly, raven black locks. Well, they were more matted and grey now.

Waiting for a few tense seconds, she peeked through the window again, nobody was there, and there was no sign of the boy.

Amisty grimaced at what she was about to do before she carefully picked the lock on the window and slid it open.

Slipping through the now opened window, she crept into the house, as swift and silent as a snake.

Amisty needed food, living on the streets didn't necessarily give her much nourishment.

She walked to the kitchen and opened the pantry as quietly as possible. Grabbing a small box of cookies and a few apples from the counter, she whirled around to exit through the window.

That is until she came face to face with the boy from under the staircase,

"And where do you think you're going?" He asked quietly, green eyes bright beneath his circular glasses.

Amisty gulped, "I, um, well I needed food," She replied, panicked. She had never been caught before. Why now?

"I see," The boy smiled, his gaze shifting to the food she held in her hands protectively.

Amisty nodded, still unsure of what to do,

"My names Harry Potter," He held out his hand for her to shake,

"Amisty River," She whispered quietly, briefly shaking his hand.

"I'm sure you might want to get going, my uncle isn't the nicest person around," Harry told her.

"You don't mind that I took some food?" She asked, bewildered.

She would think that finding a stranger in your home would warrant a more extreme reaction rather than this.

Harry shook his head, "I think my cousin needs to lose a few pounds. A few missing cookies may do him some good," He grinned.

Amisty smiled back, before hesitantly heading toward the window again,

"See you again sometime?" Harry asked, his voice coming from behind her,

"Uh... sure," She was shocked, until realizing she may have just met her first friend.

Amisty smiled happily and slipped through the window, waving to Harry as she went.

After she had made it completely outside, she looked in again and saw Harry slip back under the staircase before a big, beefy man lumbered down the stairs.

Amisty took this as her key to leave and sprinted down the drive toward her small camp.

She was in a good mood. She had made a friend, got food, didn't get caught by anyone except Harry, who just accepted her as who she was.

She smiled to herself, finally biting into an apple she had been saving.

Suddenly, a brown speckled owl landed in front of her and held out its leg. The black-haired girl scrambled backward, a little bit more than shocked at the sudden arrival of the massive avian.

"Hi?" Amisty shuffled to her feet, brushing off the dusty dirt from her worn pants.

The owl screeched and held out its leg again. Rude!

"Ohhhh," Amisty shook her head, noticing a small slip of parchment tied to the owl's leg with some twine.

Gently, she untied the note, only to jump backward as the owl flew off into the sky. Its wings sent a breeze over her, ruining her work of brushing off the dirt.

"Thanks for that." She grumbled, repeating the process of getting rid of the dust. The parchment read,

'Dear Ms.River,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress',

"I'm a WITCH??!!" She shrieked.

Her gaze moved toward Harry's house, only to spot a grey owl landing gracefully at their front door.

"Oh no," she mumbled to herself. "This year is going to be interesting."

I'm actually so ashamed of how short this chapter is

I'm actually so ashamed of how short this chapter is. 781 words. For shame, past Makie, for shame. Oh, and don't even get me started on my overuse of commas. Dear lord and I thought I was a good writer. Well, the first chapter is posted! Hope you liked it.

 Well, the first chapter is posted! Hope you liked it