Lily The Baker: Year 2/Summer

She rolled off the top of the car, throwing Echo's cage high up into the air so she could catch it as she landed.

Dropping her trunk and getting to the feet, she raced to where her owl's cage was to land, catching it safely.

Echo hooted up at her, still remaining quiet even as she fluttered her wings angrily.

"Would you have preferred I throw you instead?" Amisty asked scoldingly, meeting the bird's black eyes.

She just turned her head to the side. The girl rolled her eyes, picking her trunk back up and setting a brisk pace back to her camp. There was a long summer ahead of her.

-=+=-

Amisty was bored. Very bored. She sat outside of her camp, basking in the sunlight of the summertime sun and waiting for Harry to come outside.

It was his birthday today. He had been talking about how he never had a proper birthday before and Amisty was planning on changing that.

With the little amount of resources she had gathered over the years, Harry had forced her to promise that she would stop stealing, she had put together a small table covered in sweets and pastries.

All from a local bakery. The owner's daughter had taken a liking to her and she had smuggled out a few spare treats.

She lifted her head at the sound of a door creaking open, and raced to the source. Harry was sitting on the garden bench, looking utterly miserable as he sang 'Happy Birthday' under his breath.

She couldn't blame him. It was as if they both had been cut off from the magic world. Even with Ron and Hermione's promises to write, there were no letters to be found.

She was almost convinced it had been a dream.

Quietly, she sat down next to him, waiting for him to notice her presence. He didn't.

"Happy birthday!" She grinned, tapping him on the shoulder to get his attention.

He jumped, spinning around to face her.

"You remembered!" He exclaimed, a smile spreading across his face.

"How could I ever forget!" She replied, relaxing back onto the bench.

A comfortable silence fell over the two of them, until Harry started.

Amisty got to her feet, looking around wildly. The hedge in front of them had a pair of glowing green eyes within its leafy depths.

Harry followed in suit, his eyes wide.

"I know what day it is," A voice sang.

Amisty flew behind a bush, taking care to make sure it was nowhere near the mysterious hedge. Harry's cousin, Dudley, waddled into view, his blue eyes glinting with malice.

"What?" Harry asked, distracted by the eyes.

Amisty's gaze didn't leave the hedge, though she kept her ears pricked for their conversation.

"I know what day it is," He repeated, waddling up to Harry.

"Well done. So you've finally learned the days of the week," Harry replied sarcastically.

Amisty covered her mouth with her hand, muffling her laughter.

"Today's your birthday. How come you haven't got any cards? Haven't you got friends at that freak place?" He shot back.

Amisty shifted in the bush, glad her movements hadn't disturbed the branches and given away her hiding place.

"Better not let your mum hear you talking about my school," Harry avoided his question skillfully, his voice cold.