The One Part 70

Taylor POV:

"Adam!" , I exclaimed, I was afraid it came out more enthusiastic then I had hoped. "Why are you here?" , I added on hoping it would sound like I didn't care as much, which I didn't.

"Uh...", he stuttered. "I heard you had another baby so I got you some things." , he handed me a huge basket filled with baby goodies. "That's it."

"Thanks." , I said awkwardly.

"How's she doing, the baby I mean." 

"She's asleep. But she's healthy. Do you...want to see her?"

Adam nodded and after he has shut the door behind him, followed me to her room. She was still asleep which was a relief. She had on the pink baby shirt that Daisy had designed. It had some purple flowers on it and read, Best Baby Sister. 

"She's adorable." , Adam awed. "And she has your mouth."

I looked at her pinky tiny lips, a little bit of drool was coming out but I didn't want to interrupt her mid-day nap. But I could see the resemblance.

"Yeah." , I said, "But I don't drool."

"In your sleep you did.'

I scoffed. It probably was true but I would never admit it. I glanced up at Adam who was still looking at Lily, he was smirking.

"That's not true." , I said hitting him playfully. "Don't say that."

"Yes, it is!" , Adam laughed harder with his strong Scottish accent that sometimes I miss. "And it would all be on my chest and." , he shuddered.

"Well, you could have said something." , I exclaimed.

"Yeah." , Adam said slowly. He looked at the ground and then to me. "But if I did..." I could tell he was getting serious. "I wouldn't get to hold you. So it was worth it."

There was a long pause. I stared at Lily begging her in my mind to start crying so we could both escape this long awkward silence I was dreading so much. I looked up at him quickly only to realize his eyes were a bit red and he was biting his lip. I could recognize that face anywhere, he was trying not to cry.

"Adam are you okay?" , I asked gently touching his arm in comfort.

He nodded, blinking his eyes a couple times to keep tears from falling. "I didn't just come over here to give you that basket."

I there I knew where this was going. But I felt so bad for him, I didn't want his to stop. "Then what did you come here for?" , I asked carefully.

"I...I saw other girls when we broke up, years ago. They like me and try to like them too, and I do like them, but none of them are you. I'd be a batter if you took me back. I still want you. I never stopped wanting you.

I was speechless. I wanted him to say this, and yet now that he did I wanted to punch him. Did he not see this newborn in front of us? But before I had time to respond the door unlocked, Joe was home.