The One Part 73

Taylor POV:

I found myself somewhere behind a huge building that looked like Target but I couldn't entirely tell because one of my contacts had fallen out and the other one was blurry from crying so hard. there were no cars there and I was sitting on the cold pavement in a t-shirt. The air was brisk and since I never thought this would happen, I didn't bring a jacket.

Just then, a Range Rover appeared stopping in the middle of the abandoned lot. Adam got out and raced over to me.

"Taylor. Oh my gosh, are you okay?" , he asked worriedly kneeling down to me. "I'm so sorry."

"Go away." , I mumbled slowly getting up and moving away from him. Although I was a bit curious how he had found me, I didn't feel like asking.

"I never meant it like that. I promise. It was stupid. C'mon, your purse is in the car and I'll drive you home."

I shook my head again. "I'll walk."

"You like miles away. It would take hours."

I heard Adam sigh in frustration. "Taylor, please. Stop pushing me away."

I turned around with tear stained eyes and mascara running down my cheeks. Joe would be curious how Selena made me cry. When Adam and I were dating I pushed him away too much, all the time actually and I felt really bad about that. But I didn't know how to make that up to him if I ever could.  

"I'm sorry." , I whispered wiping my eyes and staring at a crack in the pavement.

"Don't be." , he replied

Only then did I realize how close he was to me. Close enough that if I stood on my toes I could kiss him and all my thoughts would disappear. So close, I could hear him breathe and I held my own breath trying to stop myself. Don't do it, I thought.

"Can I kiss you?" , Adam asked slowly.

One kiss could ruin everything. My marriage, my kids, me. But the crazy thing is, I wanted this. And it was something I was willing to risk. So for a second, I let go.

"Yes."

Before I could comprehend anything else, Adam's lips were back on mine. It felt like nothing had ever changed with that kiss. I never met Joe, we never got married, and I didn't have kids. It was just...us.