Review by El: The Beauty of Pain

Title: The Beauty of Pain

Author: Summersprit

Reviewer: footnoteofhappiness

Summary: 2/5

It was a little messy to me and hard to understand exactly what the poetry would be about. It was slightly relevant to the story, however, but unclear at the start. Needs a little editing. It is a little unorganised and all over the place. I believe there are a few things that could help get it to the best possible summary – needs to be polished, organised and easy to understand what the story is going to be about, or in this case, what the poetry will be about. Notes at the bottom under the comment section. 

Grammar: 3/5

There was noticeable mistakes that made me take double looks. "The love the way his laugh" confused me a fair bit. I wasn't sure if it was on purpose or if it might've meant to say "They". Have another read through. Some editing could really bring this complete collection together. I stumbled on a few of the grammatical errors, finding it hard to get really into the poems themselves because of this. But in saying that, the poetry is well-written, if the mistakes can be ignored. It would benefit your poetry to do a little more editing and double checking that sentences say what you intended them to. 

Graphics: 4/5

Your cover was appealing, included the title and the author name and was fairly easy to read, just the word "beauty" was a little harder to read. It seemed a little squished but otherwise good. I wasn't sure how it was connected to the story, but it was engaging and an eye-catcher. I'm going to interpret your cover - as all readers will - and assume the rose means beauty, and in a way, the cover fits with the story. But a new cover could revamp the story, give it a fresh look. But in saying that, covers for poetry, are entirely up to the writer. The reader is going to interpret them the best they can.

I love the pretty banners at the end of each poem too as they engage with the reader a lot and made them want to vote and comment as well. 

Creativity: 4/5

Very creative and has many ways to interpret each poem individually. My favourite poem in particular is "Lost Buttercup" as it made me feel the most emotions. "Mask of Truth" was well written also. The use of the different markings on each poem was unique but slightly hard to follow. I often forgot which one represented "past, present or future". But the idea of it was creative and I'll give you props for that. I had to often refer back to the summary in order to understand the markings but all in all, it was an artistic touch. Well done.

Writing Style: 5/5

Your writing style is creative but also similar to other poetry collections. But in saying this, all poetry is written in the writer's preference. I believe poetry is the way our soul tells a story and there is no right or wrong way to do this. I enjoyed the words you used and in the sentences they have formed. Your poetry is unique in its own right and has its own story to tell – one you don't hear often. Your writing style was easy to follow, and I wasn't confused about anything. 

OVERALL SCORE: 18/25

This collection of poetry was well-thought out and creative. The summary seemed a bit squished, may need some more editing but it was good. I would suggest putting the disclaimers/warnings on the first page of the book, as a separate thing, before starting to write the poems. I also believe the markings for the different time frames would do best on the separate first page as well. As a contents/warnings/notes kind of page. Only because the summary feels entirely squished and a lot of stuff to read when exploring your book. These are only minor things, it does not in any way take away from your beautiful poetry collection. Please don't be disheartened. After some editing, I believe it'll be even better. You have an amazing poetry collection. Excellent job!