Review by Fawn: The Sea Thief

Title: The Sea Thief

Author: ray_of_sunshine9 [aka, the person typing this up - this is so weird!] 

Reviewer: FawnIAtlas

Cover: 

Your cover work is so bright and beautiful! It's really eye catching which is a key for drawing in new readers. I like the specks of light floating around the cover and the transition colours, they really go with the theme of the book!

Maybe try adding a blue shadow to the text or something to darken the area behind the title in order to see it clearly but other than that no complaints!

Summary: 

Wowza that's a long summary haha. Keeping it short and to the point is essential as to not overwhelm readers. Providing too much info early on can just confuse them and potentially deter them from reading on.

Let me give an example of shortening the summary to relevant info whilst changing some structure here and there.

Side note: I LOVE the end line, it's such a dramatic finish and I can't help but love the flare*

The Selkies are a race of seals by day, and human impersonators by night. 

As the eldest daughter of her family, Tora Urchadainn must hunt for her family's dinner. Except she can't. With a fear of blood, Tora has resulted in thieving for food in the human markets, mastering the art of fast movements and feather touches. But as she will come to realise, even the best of thieves make mistakes. Leaving her seal coat exposed one night she returns to find it gone.

Without it she cannot return to her family.

After finding the boy who stole her coat, she strikes a deal with him. Tora must help him steal from the Cobalt pirates in order to get her coat back. Before Tora knows it, she is set to plan her biggest heist yet.

And it's not her dinner that's on the line, it's her life.

Writing Style: 

I really really really like your writing style.

It's quirky, it really shows the kind of writer you are and I like the use of italics to emphasise a point. It's a simple yet elegant way of writing and it carries itself so well. Such a great flow and I found it so easy to read through.

Imagination + Creativity: 

I have never seen a concept like this and I love it!

Honestly, with how I feel writers think nowadays, they want their characters to be extremely flawless and beautiful all of the time and yet with your characters being half seals is so interesting and it's a cool mythology you've pulled inspiration from.

I like how the places are all original and the characters so well done! 

Mythical Creatures:

I love it when writers pull inspirations for creatures and characters from myths! It gives the novels an old time feel which I love a lot. I like the complexity of the selkies and that they have a certain way of living.