Review by Daryl: Script [Forest]

Title: Script [Forest] 

Author: ItsKatthological

Reviewer: lordedarylene

Title: 4/5

The title is as strange as the cover and I've always loved strange things. I love when it's hard to decipher a title because that intensifies my desire to read the story. I can't give an accurate interpretation of this title. It's just so unpredictable that I can't say, in exact terms, what it'll be about. But if I do dig deeper, the first word reminds me of a situation where you make characters that live fictional loves as can be seen in a play or drama. They have certain made-up societal norms that guide their behaviors and they probably live in a fictional world. That's how most dramas are so, it's not hard to arrive at such a conclusion. However, when I get to the second word, I'm stumped. You basically threw me off a moving train before my destination. I'm lost now. What would a forest have to do with this story? Perhaps, this fictional world is set in a forest or jungle, or a place close to a forest. I have no idea, and I absolutely love it when I have no idea what's going to happen in a story. There's so many ways this story can go. I'm eager to find out.

I flipped through the first few pages and my assumptions were close to the truth. Now, I'm hyped to read this book. Before I continue, I did notice something a little off with the title. After reading the summary and the map, I realised the title now appears a little confusing. It's a good title yet it now seems less appealing than it initially was. The first thing that itches the wrong way is the fact that 'forest' is bracketed. The name of the forest is the 'script forest' so, I don't see the need to put the second word in brackets. Maybe that's to show that 'forest' isn't important and can be omitted without ruining the name of the place. Still, the brackets aren't quite needed after seeing the map. It's the 'script forest', after all. Bracketing it is like someone writing the 'Amazon (Forest)'. Looks a little odd, right? I would suggest taking out the brackets. If you don't want to do that, there is a way to keep them while eliminating the confusion they cause. I think adding 'of Noqi' to 'forest' gives the latter a flair that will make it stand out well. That says that Script is not just a forest but the forest of Noqi. Compare the current title and a title like 'Script (forest of Noqi)'. We could both agree that the second produces more intrigue. People will start to wonder what Noqi is. It also gives room for the touch of fantasy the story appears to have.

Cover: 3.5/5

Your cover just screams originality. This was a cover crafted around your story not an image adapted to fit it. Well done for going out of your way to give us something like this. It was obviously made with your story in mind.

I'm judging your cover first so, I haven't seen the summary yet. That usually messes up my headspace when reviewing. The first thing that stands out is obviously the stag posturing proudly in the middle of your cover. If that doesn't exude importance, I don't know what does. I love that you picked one element from the story to pass across a strong message. I'm not sure what the message is but I do know this creature plays a significant role in the plot. It could either be relevant to a particular character or the plot. Whichever option it turns out to be, I'm loving this effect chosen to highlight the creature. Said effect makes me think of a game or animation. I have seen them being made and this stag is portrayed in one of the phases the pixelated creatures pass through. Am I right in assuming your story will revolve around a game or animation? I don't know but I love the image.

Another aspect of your cover I like is the color palette used. You stuck to yellow and black. When using colors that usually don't mix, you're advised to stick to the barest minimum. You took that advice and it turned out well. Alternating between both colors ensured your cover didn't turn out messy. I also like the way you separated certain areas with boxes. That was beautiful. It's a subtle detail yet one that made a huge difference.