Review by El: Restored (A Caleo Selection)

Title: Restored (A Caleo Selection)

Author: pluviophile_bookworm

Reviewer: footnoteofhappiness

Summary: 5/5

Despite this being fanfiction (especially one of them being one I haven't seen), I love the summary, it gives me just enough amount of information (especially when a reader isn't familiar with the fandom, you're writing a fanfic for). It was a captivating set of lines, that captured me from the moment I read it. It is engaging and makes me yearn to read the story itself. It is organised and it is easy to see what the story is going to be about. Excellent job!

Grammar: 4/5

Your story had very few mistakes, I could hardly pinpoint many. I could read your book smoothly, without noticing the errors unless I stared at them so intently. Your grammar and spelling are near-perfect which is good. No writer is perfect – because humans can't get everything right the first time. I think you've done a wonderful job here!

Character Building: 5/5

From the few chapters you have up, your characters seem as if they're being build in perfect time with your story. Your characters are leaving me with an impression. I definitely love the MC, I think she might end up being my favourite – no surprise there though. I'm looking forward to the day you build her all the way through and answer the question in the summary: WHAT CASTE WAS SHE BEFORE THIS ALL HAPPENED??! I need to know. That's how well your characters are built. I have questions at every turn, and every next one, you've got the answer for me. It's great actually. 

Writing Style: 5/5

Your writing style is unique to you as a person, but it is still easy to follow. It doesn't make the chapters hard to understand at all. Your story runs smoothly, engaging the reader at every turn. She may be doing something super mundane, but you've shown us it was important to add in because it reminds her of something – something important. Sometimes we learned in those bits that she disliked some things – or people. I think your writing style is creative. 

Plot Uniqueness: 4/5

Okay so this one was a bit hard to do – so the way I've looked at it is that if we take away the general plot (e.g. PJ & The Selection), you're left with your original idea that helps the two fandoms cross over and the plot is centred mainly around that. It was cliché at times, but I think that only made the book more engaging for me. It was used in appropriate ways and not too many times either. It had a few twists at the start I didn't see coming (like what the heck happened at the place the story is set at, before she goes there as an adult???). So many questions, but in the best ways! Your story was engaging and made me want to keep reading. Very well done!

OVERALL SCORE: 23/25

All I'm going to say here – because I've rambled too much at the top – is that your story is engaging, despite being a fanfiction. Your story has made me want to check out the Selection by the original writer and I reckon I would enjoy it, just as much as I have enjoy yours. I love that you were right and that I didn't need to know the original plot of either of the fandoms (despite knowing PJ very well) because the story is unique in its own way. It can be seen as a stand-alone in ways. You don't need the "backstory" of the original works to understand this which I love! Not many people can give a fandom justice to write properly with their characters, but I think you just might've. 

SPECIAL NOTE FROM SUNSHINE (HEAD REVIEWER): 

Firstly, thank you so much to footnoteofhappiness for this lovely review, and thank you to pluviophile_bookworm for requesting a review from our store! I've actually decided to stick a quick note here because this review marks the 50th review from our store! Thank you for all our amazing reviewers who have been so prompt and hard-working, and thank you to all of those readers who actually read and vote on the reviews even if the review isn't for them (I see you - and I appreciate you). 

Thank you everyone for your incredible effort, and let's keep up this dedication and commitment as we shoot for 100!