Ch. 10- The Falls

Seven friends fell from the sky at top speeds, high above the picturesque falls.

(Imagine dis but at night and it is all lit up and stuff

(Imagine dis but at night and it is all lit up and stuff. It is very hard to find good night photos of this place...)

"Uh, where are we?" Linh yelled over the roaring winds of them free falling. Sophie gasped with realization.
"Wait... we are in Lumangwe falls in Africa! I have always dreamed of coming here! Did you know-"
"Can we please focus on landing in the damn falls before we admire them?!" Biana yelled over the winds.
"Right! Sorry, let me think!" Sophie apologized.
"Maybe we can land in the water?" Keefe asked, pointing to the private pool of water that the waterfalls fed in to.
"Hitting water from this high up would feel like hitting concrete. We need to figure something else out!" Sophie responded. Then Sophie felt a snap in her core. Just like what happened during the gala. Her sixth sense brought up the memory when she played splotcher with Fitz. The way she threw her hands out and used her telekinesis to throw the colored paintball at Fitz. And then the answer was clear. Telekinesis.
"Keefe! Help me out here!" Sophie yelled, opening up her enhancing. Sophie has learned to control her enhancing on a whim after the last couple of years. Keefe seemed to get the idea and held onto her hand tighter, feeling the enhancing power fill through their veins.
"Now!" Keefe and Sophie yelled together. They both felt their telekineses mold around their friends, creating a safety net they could pull on with their minds. They both pulled up on their invisible nets, pulling their friends up in mid-air.
"Are you guys using telekinesis?!" Fitz asked as they slowly descended towards the ground.
"Y-yeah," Keefe grunted, struggling to keep all of them in the air. Even with Sophie and Keefe combined, they were having trouble holding all seven of them in the air.
"Wow! You guys have amazing control! Especially with carrying so many of us!" Dex complimented. They were only about seven feet above the forest canopy, but they were starting to shake and wobble.
"Yeah I don't think we can hold this any longer guy-" Sophie was cut off by Keefe and Sophie losing control and all seven of them plummeting towards the green leafy canopy. Sophie lost her friend's hands as they fell through the tangled limbs of the trees. Sophie felt scrapes on her face and body, and vines twisting around her torso and legs as she plummeted towards the ground. Sophie braced for impact when she saw the dirt ground growing near, but then she felt an urk upwards. She opened her eyes, she stared at the earth from five inches above, tangled in vines and leaves. Sophie took large gasping breathes, not even imagining her luck.
"Is everyone okay?" Sophie asked loudly, slowly tangling herself from the vines.
"Define, okay!" Dex yelled up from the trees. Sophie glanced up into the trees, finding her friends in a similar situation she was. All of them were draped over branches and vines.
"Headcount!" Sophie yelled out just as she untangled herself.
"Present!" Fitz and Linh yelled out from her right.
"I'm here! I'm with Tam and as well!" Keefe called out, walking out to here from some bushes.
"I'm good!" Dex called out, climbing down from a tree, then falling on his butt.
"I'm okay as well!" Biana yelled down, climbing down some vines. After each one of them climbed down from their spots in the tree, they assessed their injuries. They luckily got off with only a couple of bruises and scratches.
"Okay! Well... we are here now!" Keefe said confidently.
"Yeah, after we plummeted out of the sky!" Biana yelled, pointing upwards to prove her point.
"I'm still working on landing Bia! But now we know where we are, and now we can easily get to the falls because as we were falling, we got a good birds-eye view of the area! Plus, since it is dark, no one saw us, and we can move more easily!" Sophie reasoned. Biana did not appreciate the nickname that Linh and Sophie gave her.
"Let's get moving, we still need to figure out how to find and open the base around the falls," Fitz said, throwing his bag over his shoulder. Tam and Sophie rushed forward, checking for any Neverseen scouts or humans that may have spotted them. While Tam and Sophie perched on the trees surveying their surroundings, Tam glanced at Sophie.
"You need to tell them what's going on, Sophie." Tam quietly said, keeping his eyes ahead and trained on the horizon. Sophie faltered a little bit before sighing.
"I know, it just-"
"Sophie, this isn't something you should be hiding. We have gone through everything together, and we all tell everything to one another. Maybe they can help us figure out what is going on with you." Tam reasoned, still keeping his eyes trained ahead. Sophie's eyes searched critically through the African canopies around the falls, observing anything that may be out of place, but her hands were shaking.
"One more day. I will tell them after I can get some information tonight from Forkle." Sophie asked, giving Tam a silent beg to remain quiet for a bit longer.
"Fine, but remember Sophie, I shut everyone out when I needed you all the most. And it was terrible. Just remember that we are here for you." Tam said, putting a hand on her shoulder, his silver eyes meeting her brown ones. Sophie gave a small nod, and they rushed back to their group through the trees. Sophie and Tam dropped from the trees right in front of the group, causing Keefe to jump.
"What the hell you guys! You could have just walked!" Keefe said, annoyed.Tam stuck his tongue out at him, and Sophie rolled her eyes.
"We are good to go. We couldn't find anything. Let's go find this base." Sophie said, crossing her arms and smirking at her team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my- it's beautiful!' Linh exclaimed, her eyes bright at the sight of the falls.
"Right? As I said, I always dreamed of coming here when I was in Paris. They have a dance academy in the main town that I visited on a trip with my troupe, but I couldn't find any time to go visit." Sophie said to Linh, both of them marveling at the beauty of the falls. Keefe grabbed a pamphlet from a stand outside of the poorly made visitors center.

"Lumangwe Falls on the Kalungwishi River in northern Zambia is the largest waterfall wholly within that country, with a height of 30-40 m and a width of 160 m. The falls is 80 km from Mporokoso on the Kawambwa road. It has a similar depth of water falling over the edge to the Victoria Falls (Mosi-oa-Tunya) on the Zambezi for which it is frequently mistaken in photographs.At the river's height at the end of the rainy season in April/May, spray from the waterfall may be carried 100 m into the air and the roaring sound in the gorge below seems to shake the ground.Lumangwe Falls are reached via a 10 km earth road which turns west from the Kawambwa-Mporokoso gravel road 2.5 km north-east of the Kalungwishi bridge at Chipempe, which replaced the pontoon (Kalungwishi Ferry) in 2004. The falls can be viewed from the bank of the river at the top and from a cliff almost opposite the drop. Paths lead to the foot of the falls and also down the gorge to Kabwelume Falls 6 km downstream." Keefe read, looking bored. (Thank you Wikipedia ;^)
"Really? That is so cool! But, the reason we are here, where is the base?" Dex asked, scanning his surroundings.
"Look for something out of the ordinary. We have to figure out how to get in there by sunrise." Sophie said. The team split up, looking around the falls. Sophie felt a little tingle in her system when Linh pointed something out under the water where the falls. The team moved over to what Linh was looking at, keeping their guards up. It was a small golden item barely visible under the water, and it seemed deeply emerged under fast paced water.
"Maybe we can scoop it up with something? Dex, do you have anything?" Linh said, pointing to the object.
"Let me check..." Dex said, setting down his bag and rummaging through it.
"No, I think there is only one way to get it," Sophie said, her eyes still entranced by the dimly lit golden object below. Fitz seemed to understand what she was about to do immediately.
"Sophie, no. The water is going way too fast. We should try to stay dry as well." Fitz argued as Sophie threw off her bag and overcoat.
"You aren't listening to me, are you?" Fitz said, annoyed.
"Well, duh." Sophie mumbled. Sophie dove into the water; the freezing water paralyzing her for a moment. But then Sophie closed her eyes and felt her body regulation fill her bones. Sophie dove down to the object, using rocks and moss to push herself farther down. Sophie felt her breath start to feel stale in her chest. Sophie coughed a little bit letting some air out. That let in water trickled down in her throat, causing her to choke. Sophie was about to rush back up when the coughing sensation forced her mouth open. Water filled in, rushing down her throat. Sophie was about to panic when she realized.She wasn't drowning, no, she was fine. In fact...

She was breathing fine deep under the Lumangwe falls waters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry about the short chapter, but I wanted to post something for you all today!

_Sibylline_