Ch. 14- The Corrupt

(Claudio's home in Grecia, which is based on Greece)

"We are done, Uncle Claudio!" Allesandro called into the house. Leto led the last of the horses into the newly built stable as Claudio came out of the house. He had a plump body with a sizeable authoritative nose, which cricked in all different ways.

"Bel lavoro*! You boys come on in! I have some drinks and food waiting for you! Leto do you mind finishing up with the horses?" Claudio called out.

"Nessun problema*! I'll come inside in about five minutes!" Leto said, pouring water in the troughs. Allesandro walked inside and broke the bread, spreading cheese on it and taking large gulps of the fresh river water his uncle collected.

"How old are you now, Allesandro?" Claudio asked, pulling up a chair.

"19 now, Uncle." Allesandro said with a full mouth.

"19, huh? And your parents haven't told you?" Claudio whispered. Allesandro gulped down his food and stared at Claudio in confusion.

"I'll take that as a no. I think it is the time you know. You know who the goddess our family worship the most?" Claudio said, casually taking a slab of butter and smearing it onto bread.

"Kynarath, the goddess of the moon, stealth, sky, and earth. Pardon me if I come off as rude, uncle, but where is this coming from?" Allesandro asked.

"Do you know any other groups that worship Kynarath as their patron goddess?" Claudio asked. Allesandro was drawing blanks.

"The Cyevan (Sigh-Evan) Assassins*," Leto said behind them. He took his place at the table and started to munch away at the food.

"Exactly. The Vatarians, even before we split ourselves up into the six different major cities, we were one with the wild. We ran with the wolves and cheetahs. We tasted the sun sweet berries of the earth. We worshipped the sun and moons thinking Gods and Goddesses from above controlled them. As we advanced, we realized otherwise, but their worship never ceased. Corruption fell upon the cities; you know as well as I when I say that our government is corrupt and was being controlled by wealthy nobles and criminals. The Assassins noticed and decided to take action. They were initially formed here, in Inalia, somewhere on the outskirts of Renisanca. They knew there would be seen as illegal, so they had a motto "Protect the light from among the shadows. Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." Claudio explained, leaning into the table.

"What happened to Cyevan Assassins, Uncle?" Allesandro asked quietly as if speaking about them would cause guards to come bursting through the windows.

"They remain hidden to this day. But after many great deeds, their order was rooted out in each city and forced them to go into hiding. But you know our family crest?" Claudio said, gesturing to the family crest Allesandro had inked on his back shoulder blade.

"Yes?" Allesandro, already expecting what his uncle was about to say.

"That was their guild mark." He said, a grin breaking through his cheeks.