Ch. 30- The First Strike

Random soldier POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I joined the Black Swan because I got too cocky and prideful. I thought that I would be able to impress this girl back home if I joined. But staring down the massive Neverseen army marching towards our base, I was downright scared.

"Remember, we try to hold them off from the base as long as possible so the base defenses can get ready!" Fitz Vacker, my commander, yelled over our squadron. Fitz was a strong, independent, and caring leader. He was also younger than me; I believe he is just turning 18 soon. Even then, he always tried to relate to the soldiers in his squadron. Linh Song, the other squadron leader, was like a kind puppy. But when you piss her off get ready to get scalded with boiling water with no mercy. Fitz only talked to me once, helping me with my armor, but he understood that I was new at the whole war thing. I heard a rumor that he had a romantic... thing, going on with the Moonlark. But they tried to shove it to the side to try and focus on the war, but there is a rumor that they snuck off to the library about a week ago, but no one knows what happened.

"Excuse me?" Fitz asked over the crowd. But the rowdy soldiers kept on psyching themselves up.

"Excuse me?!" Fitz asked again, a bit louder.

"Attention!" Linh shouted over the crowd. All of the soldiers snapped to attention.

"Thanks," Fitz whispered to Linh.

"The Neverseen are going to be here in any minute; we have a member of the Black Swan rushing the front to break the outer wall of their soldiers. After that member has properly broken the outer wall of soldiers, we will storm in and finish everyone off." Fitz explained. I piped up from the middle line of soldiers.

"Who one earth would be dumb enough to storm the front line of soldiers on the enemy army?" I asked.

"I don't know, but they must be an absolute mad lad," Fitz said. (I'm sorry I'm in a meme mood). Suddenly, everyone heard the revving of an engine. All the soldiers turn to see a black and blue motorcycle rushing towards the front line of soldiers.

"That better not be-" Fitz started.

"It is. It's totally is her." Linh answered. Fitz slapped his forehead and started rambling.

"We leave her for, what? An hour?! Maybe two?! And in that time she decided that it was a good idea to storm the front-"

"Fitz! We don't have time to worry; we need to get ready." Linh said, calmly putting a hand on his shoulder. Fitz sighed, annoyed, yet agreed. Fitz and Linh lined their soldiers up and waited for the order.

"First battle of the war..." Linh whispered under her breathe. Fitz looked at her, and neither one of the elves understood what events this first battle would put into effect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophie felt her breathe slightly fog around her mouth in the hot helmet, her eyes trained on the rocky, barren terrain in front of her. Keefe, Tam, and Biana came back with their scouting mission and have joined the Fitz and Linh as the squadron leaders. Their report said there were almost 500 Neverseen soldiers, while the Black Swan had about 350, but the Black Swan still had their trained companions. Their report also said they couldn't get any clear views of any leaders, but suspected there were two.

Sophie heard the gasps and whispers from the Black Swan as she pushed forward on the motorcycle, all of them knowing what she was doing. Sophie pushed the bike on top of the hill and overlooked the 500 Neverseen soldiers, waiting with deadly melders and green leather shields with an eye in the middle. Sophie saw the front line of soldiers had thick metal armor with green accents standing with their axes, swords, and hammers held up in front of them. Two green tanks behind the heavy armor line waited to be operated. They haven't seen her yet. Sophie let out a shaky breath and finally realized a feeling in her stomach that has been bothering her for the last couple hours.