Ch. 12- The Sparring Match

"Come on, Sophie! I've got 20 lusters on you!" Dex yelled from the sidelines. Keefe entered the ring, taking off his shirt ready for his and Sophie's sparring match. Sophie had to do everything in her power not to look down at his shirtless chest.

"Sorry to disappoint Dex. But I think I've got this in the bag!" Keefe called out, stepping into the ring. Sophie snorted and rolled her eyes. She pulled off the large shirt to reveal her training vest. Sophie slid her knives into the back of her vest. She wore an undershirt that had a sleeve going down half her right arm, covering up her tattoo. She grabbed a slender sword from the weapons rack; Sophie quickly identified it as a Rapier. She turned around to see Keefe and Fitz staring, with Tam and Biana laughing in the background.

"What?" Sophie asked, her eyebrows pressed down in confusion.

"Nothing! Let's just start." Keefe said quickly, turning around and nervously laughing.

Sophie glanced down at her vest. She did wear it under her shirt when they had lunch. Maybe something slipped down and stained it? 

Sophie shrugged and stepped into the ring, swinging the Rapier around to feel the weight of it

Sophie shrugged and stepped into the ring, swinging the Rapier around to feel the weight of it. It wasn't heavy, something Sophie could easily move around with and swing quickly with, it was edgeless and seemed to be best for thrusting forward. Sophie would use her small and fast figure to her advantage. Exactly how she likes it.

Keefe lifted his sword and pointed it at Sophie. Sophie analyzed his sword and position as they started to circle one another. Keefe held a basket-hilted broadsword. Because of the way the hilt protected the hand, Sophie wouldn't be able to disarm him easily. It was a double-edged straight sword as well. Keefe wasn't as fast as Sophie, to begin with, and with a basket-hilted sword, it would hard to maneuver along with Sophie's speed. It seemed like Keefe knew this as well, as his feet and chest were pointed sideways in a defensive position.

"We are doing an ogre style sparing match. The first one to draw blood from three different wounds on the other wins. Fight!" Biana yelled, starting the fight. Sophie took a deep breath and rushed forward. Keefe sidestepped to the right, but Sophie saw it earlier and pivoted her foot, thrusting her Rapier forward, slicing a small cut on Keefe's cheek. Keefe rolled back and returned to his defensive position. So he is trying to strafe and turn out of the way. But how is that going to cause any wounds on Sophie if he is going only to play defensively? Sophie herself rolled back and continued to circle Keefe. Sophie raced forwards thrusting her Rapier. Keefe smirked and parried Sophie sword with his own, knocking it to the side and using the momentum to knock Sophie sideways. As Sophie fell, she felt two slices against her hand and her thigh. One from Keefe's sword barely knicking her and the other from her sword which Keefe knocked downwards when he parried. Sophie fell onto her back, her Rapier slipping out of her grasp. Keefe gave her a handsome smirk that filled her with determination. Just as he was about to take his third strike, Sophie kicked his feet out from under him, causing him to stumble forward and down on top of Sophie. Both of their faces were red from either the intense sparring or how close their bodies were.