41~Something in the Stone~

Dex got up and looked at the statue again, making the connections between him and Sophie. Alexios chuckled as shock waned onto Dex's face.

"My uncle rebuilt our Assassins legacy, to fight against the cruel in the world. Anyone was allowed to join, no matter what race, color, gender, the status you were, it didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was if you were willing to fight with fire in your heart and stay loyal to the family." Alexios said quietly. Dex could practically imagine Allesandro in front of him, his power radiating strength and unity.

"He was strict but kind," Alexios added, his own eyes turning distant.

"He would take Amalia and me everywhere, different cities and faraway forgotten Islands and villages. He valued education and intelligence just as much as a strong arm and a sharp sword. He taught Amalia war strategies and how to read, how to learn from her mistakes, and apply them into her actions." Alexios let out a small laugh, "He was also quite popular. Ladies would constantly swarm him, but he was practically clueless about it. Runs in the family, I guess. They were so close." Alexios whispered. Dex turned to Alexios, trying to sort through his many questions.

"What about Sophie's mother? I never hear anyone even mention her, much less Sophie." Dex asked. Alexios's face turned slightly uncomfortable.

"Sophie's mother was named Eumelia. She left Allesandro when Lia was born. Didn't even bat an eye when leaving her family," Alexios said quietly.

"Oh," Dex whispered. Alexios looked out at the setting sun, his arms crossed and his face creased.

"He didn't hold it against her, Amalia did, but he didn't. He figured that his high-stress life was too much for her. He wasn't known for forgiveness, though, so it was surprising for everyone. But he never took another lover, her leaving really hurt him." Alexios sighed. It was silent for a couple of moments, Dex trying to find the right words to say, But Alexios beat him to it.

"Amalia was torn away from everything she loved Dex, her family, her homeland, her culture. She forced into the life of an elf; she was kept in the dark by those who were supposed to help her. When she learned of her home, she needed to go home. She belongs here." Alexios said quietly.

"She belonged with us," Dex retorted quietly.

"She belongs to both of us. Your Sophie, my Amalia, they are the same person. But, try to put yourself in her shoes." Alexios looked at Dex, "Your home invaded and torched. You were forced to run away, screaming and crying while your father was killed in front of you. You were wiped of your culture and told you were one thing when you were another. Imagine being someone who is anybody but yourself."

Dex eyes watered, and he blew out a breath.

"I can't imagine that. I know I'm being selfish; I know that. But," Tears started to drip down his cheeks, "We got through everything together. I was always the 'kid of a bad match,' and she was 'the brown-eyed freak.' We were ignored and gawked at together. And when she left, I was all alone again. All of us were. And when I learned that she ran away to return to this ancient hidden city to become this legendary warrior." Dex let out a laugh, "I was jealous of this. Of you. That she left us just like that to return to all of this, she was living it up while we were left to grieve her. We thought she was dead!" Dex laughed. Alexios heard the words he was saying, nodding with understanding.

"I was jealous of you, to be honest." Alexios chuckled, Dex turning around surprised.

"What? Why?" Dex asked.

"Well, the Vatarians and Dunmer have always been ignored and scorned, especially by the elves. And when she came home, she talked about her friend in the elven cities and how amazing they were. I thought she was coming back to say hi and then return to her fabulous life with the elves, with her new family and friends." Alexios explained. But he shook his head and made a pathetic laugh.