Ch. 33- The Invaders

Amalia tried her hardest to drown out the screams of her people running away from their burning city. Amalia, Nour, Mansi, and Alexios surprisingly were listening to their parents and stayed in Amalia's cellar. Nour and Mansi called their parents on the mínyma (Vatarian version of an imparter), who's image were crackled and blurry. Their parents told them to stay with Amalia and Alexios, knowing that Allesandro put them somewhere safe.

"We can't just sit here!" Alexios snapped. Nour and Mansi looked nervously at Amalia who was pacing and at Alexios who was tapping his fingers on the trap door restlessly. 

"Do we have some armor we could borrow from your pater?" Nour asked Amalia. Amalia sighed before shaking her head, obviously trying to figure what to do.

"Nothing our size. My pater will get Alexios and me our first set of armor when we complete our training." Amalia flinched as another explosion shook trough Inalia, sending dirt from the ceiling. Amalia froze in her place when she heard voices slowly coming closer to the villa.

"We slaughter anyone we find, do you understand me? But if you find Morretti's daughter, bring her to me. I kill her myself." A stern voice snapped. Everyone stood paralyzed in their spots. The voice barking orders sounded distinctly female, while the rest sounded like a mix of genders. Alexios swiftly closed the trap door and locked it, hoping the measly rug above it will be enough to keep them hidden. Amalia and Alexios huddled closer to Mansi and Nour and watched the trap door carefully. 

"They are gonna find us..." Amalia realized. The three other children looked at her, eyes bright with terror. 

"What do we do then?" Mansi asked. Amalia and Alexios searched around before Alexio's gaze fell on a small stained glass window above some barrels, letting in red-colored light to the musty cellar. Amalia caught his gaze and nodded. They stacked the barrels on top of one another, creating an unstable staircase up to the window. Amalia tore a small strip off her stolla* and wrapped it around her knuckles as her father taught her. Amalia took a quick breath before swinging her hand at the glass, making sure to push her palla* out of the way, and watched the stained red glass shatter and shatter to the floor. Amalia and Alexios cringed, thinking they glass breaking would be too loud, but the Neverseen were loudly searching upstairs and didn't seem to hear it. Alexios went first and shimmied through the window, helping Mansi after him. Amalia helped Nour up the crates and out the window.

"Lady Vespera! We found a trap door under the rug!" One of the Neverseen members yelled. Amalia froze dead in her tracks. She heard rumors of Vespera, how obsessed she was with her father, and how she chased Amalia's mother away. After Vespera betrayed the Vatarians, they managed to get a quick hold on Vespera, and they managed to only wipe her memory of where the city is, but she got away before they could do anything else. Someone must have given her info on where Inalia was, but who? Amalia quick her pondering as she heard the men upstairs tug in the trap door, jiggling the weak lock. She clamored out the window, Alexios desperately dragging her out the window. After Amalia made out the window, Alexios pushed over a crate to cover the window. Right as the box was pushed up against the open window, Neverseen soldiers came barging down into the cellar. The four kids then took to running as far away from the Neverseen as possible.

"Uncle Alessandro has a storehouse not far from here, right?" Alexios asked Amalia panting. 

"Yeah, we can go there and think of a plan or something," Amalia said wheezing, Mansi and Nour following them close behind. They all raced over the soft green Grecian grasses and tried to jump over the rocky terrain.

 They all raced over the soft green Grecian grasses and tried to jump over the rocky terrain