Ch. 37- The Sibling

Alvar paced in the Neverseen guard barracks, nervously picking at his nails.

"You need to calm down Alvar," Ruy said cooly. It was just Alvar and Ruy in the room, the rest of the members, went out for training.

"Calm down? Calm DOWN?! Oh, that's so easy! I'll just breathe in some relaxing scents, or maybe go for a walk?! That will definitely change the fact that Amalia is being held captive here, living with her mortal enemy!" Alvar panicked. Ruy snorted and fell backward onto his bed.

"From what you told me about Sophie- I mean Amalia, she will be fine. If my mother tries to do anything, she will electrocute so hard she will fly to the next village over. How much money I would pay to see that." Ruy said, annoyed. Alvar glanced at Ruy, hearing the underlying comment about his mother.

 Ruy always wore an obscurer when he wasn't at the base, but if he didn't wear one, you would see he has his mother's black hair and azure blue eyes. He was extremely more tan than his mother, and he was her polar opposite. Vespera was always calm and composed, even when she was torturing the hell out of someone. Ruy was always fiery and had a strong moral compass. Apparently, Vespera had some affair with some guy about two months before she found out Eumelia was pregnant. She had Ruy and raised him in the Neverseen, without his father. But Ruy still remembered his father for the short amount of time he was in his life and remembered all the manners and ideas he taught him, which caused Ruy to actually have emotions and empathy, unlike his nutbag mom. Ruy always despised his mother but obeyed her because she was 'blood.' Ruy was the only friend Alvar had in the Neverseen and the only one who knew the real reason why Alvar joined. Alvar caught Ruy rubbing his forearm and flinch. Alvar looked at him confused, but Ruy threw his hand to the side before he thought Alvar saw it.

"Ruy, let me see your arm," Alvar said quietly.

"Why?" Ruy asked.

"Let me see your arm, Ruy," Alvar demanded. Ruy sighed before holding out his arm. Alvar pulled up the sleeve of his tunic and revealed several long gashes. Alvar was almost scared to touch the thick bloody mess.

"Your mother did this, didn't she?" Alvar asked quietly. Ruy sighed and took back his arm.

"I lost one of the members of the Collective in pursuit, and she found out. She said I needed to learn so I wouldn't do it again." Ruy explained. The mere thought of Vespera made Alvar's blood boil. She was a heartless beast that murdered all of Sophie's people, people she called family mere years before. She had no sympathy for her son and saw him like cattle. Ruy saw Alvar stewing in anger and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry man, I'm fine. Just two more years and I'm out of here." Ruy said, referencing to his 18th birthday. Alvar sighed and flopped onto his rickety cot. The two friends heard a small knock at the door, combined with a little voice.

"Ruy? Alvar? May I come in?" The voice asked. They agreed, and Hathlani walked in, nervously glancing behind her. Hathlani was found about a year ago, Vespera had some grudge against a woman and took her daughter. Alvar and Ruy didn't want her to be exposed to the cruelness of the Neverseen, they have been watching over her, she was only six after all. Her blond hair was always braided into two dutch braids, and her face always seemed to have a small specks dirt on it, no matter how much they tried to clean it up. Her blue and purple ombre eyes always seemed to glow, however, no matter how bad the situation was.

"What wrong Lilac?" Ruy asked, seeing Hathlani obviously distressed. Because of her lengthy name, they started to just call her Lilac, because of her love of the color (and to make the author's job easier...). Lilac fidgeted with the stuffed animal in her hands. A moonlark plush.