40~You Need to Meet Someone~

Dex POV

Dex ran a hand through his strawberry hair, flopping against the cot in Maria's basement. It has been two days since Biana and Keefe left to find Sophie, and Alexios came back a few hours after the first left and explained that they went with Sophie to find Ruy. Most of the remaining team's time was spent decoding the book and interpreting it. Luckily, it was written in the universal language, so they just needed to read the giant thing. That is what they have been doing for the past two days, figuring out the book, to little avail. The words were complex, and they needed to sit down to analyze the writing. Maria and Alexios have been teaching the remaining elves about Vatarian culture, and though Dex listened, he was still quiet and somewhat salty about it.

It was the Vatarians that stole his best friend, after all.

Sophie was his rock, able to help him through anything. She would stand up against bullies and the pompous elves in society; she would encourage him and be there for him.

But then she came here.

And she changed.

Dex jumped as the trap door opened into the basement, getting everyone's attention. They were all hunched over the book, reading through it, but Alexios popped his head down.

"I'm going to need one of you," He announced.

"But, what if people know we are elves?" Tam asked, standing up and stretching out his back.

"You guys know enough about us to blend in enough, just try to wear some of this," Alexios grabbed a gorgeous perfume bottle and casually threw it towards them, and Fitz dived to catch it before it crashed on the floor.

"Perfume?" Fitz asked, observing the bottle.

"I agree, you guys smell like a barn," Linh said, plucking the bottle out of Fitz's hands and handing it to Tam.

"Okay, ow. But why would we need to wear perfume?"

"It's the only thing my mom has on hand right now, sorry, sold out of cologne. We have trolls, Lith, and orcs living in Inalia as well, and they have a perfect sense of smell, and they might be able to tell if you guys are new Elves to Inalia. Not to mention, there are some rumors that ancient Vatarians are hiding in Inalia, and their smell is crazy scary. It will cover your scents." Alexios explained.

"I just need one of you; i'll take," Alexios did a big show of trying to pick one of them. His finger pointed at Dex, and Dex turned pale.

"You." Alexios decided. Tam handed Dex the perfume and gave him a pat on the back. Dex nervously sprayed the perfume on himself, which smelt like thick perfumy flowers, and followed Sophie's hulking brother up the stairs. He nervously glanced at everyone, who nodded at him, before leaving the basement. Dex followed Alexios closely as they weaved through Maria's store, past the frilly dresses, casual tunics, and tailed suits.

"Hey, Mom, we are heading out," Alexios said to Maria behind the counter. Maria looked up from her business ledger and looked at Dex with a cocked eyebrow.

"You're not taking this one on a contract, are you? I don't think his little elven mind would be able-"

"Nope, just need to show him something," Alexios said casually.

"Okay, just don't let anyone get too close to him. Don't want anyone getting a whiff of an unwelcomed elf in the city. And pay your rent, your landlord keeps harassing me about it." Maria sighed, returning to her business ledger.

Alexios smirked at Dex and entered the streets outside, Dex scrambling behind him.

"What do you need me for?" Dex asked quietly, not excited about taking a walk with a man who could snap his neck in a matter of seconds. Alexios shrugged, easily navigating through the thickly crowded streets.