Ch. 25- The Slashed Dagger

Sophie's eyes gradually fluttered open, and she slowly realized that she was in her room in the Lumangwe base

Sophie's eyes gradually fluttered open, and she slowly realized that she was in her room in the Lumangwe base. The fire in her fireplace was slowly crackling out, and the light filtering through the curtains means that the sun was just starting to come out. Sophie tried to push herself off her bed but landed back into the bed with a thump, her pain causing her too curse out. Well, with the bed Sophie was resting on it was more like a giant squeak.

Man, I miss my bed in Inalia. Sophie thought to herself. The loud squeak from her bed woke up Keefe in the corner. He was laying down on a dusty old green couch, his hair still in it perfect messy condition. He swiped the small amount of droll from the corner from his lip before Sophie could see and ran over to Sophie, who was still cursing in pain.

"Easy Foster, easy. You totally took out a wild flock of Carvo birds, I understand if you need to curse a bit." Keefe said jokingly. Sophie took a mirror of the nightstand and cursed again, using even harsher words this time.

"I didn't mean curse that much. Damn Foster, you have the mouth of a sailor." Keefe snorted. Sophie's hair was fried and singed beyond repair right below her shoulder. The roots of her hair were poofed out and sticking in all different directions.

"What happened?" Sophie asked. Keefe took a metal pitcher from the corner of the room and poured a glass of water for her.

"You tell me Soph. We were running from the Carvo birds then you suddenly stopped dead in your tracks. You were telling something to stop, then right as the birds were about to nail you, electricity sparked out of your hands and fried the whole swarm." Keefe explained. Sophie's eyes widen and she groaned, pulling her singed hair over face and thumping back onto her bed.

"Sophie?" Keefe asked. Sophie didn't answer and kept groaning into her hair. She couldn't believe that she just relieved her charger power. She swore to herself she wouldn't use it until she had proper training, and here she is showing it off to everyone because she had a hissy fit.

"Sophie, are you a Charger?" Keefe pressured. Sophie peeked through her hair towards Keefe, whose breathtaking blue eyes were shining with an emotion Sophie could place.

"Maybe..." Sophie muttered. Keefe stared at her waiting for her explanation.

"I tried to tell you the other day," Sophie started. But then she thought back to everything she just experienced. She just couldn't put her friends through this. Putting her friends through... explaining who Amalia is. Sophie could barely explain who Amalia is, and Sophie IS Amalia.

"I have been developing new powers. I have been trying to handle it by myself, but I just can't." Sophie lied. Keefe luckily wasn't touching her, so he wouldn't be able to super clearly tell her emotions.

"Sophie why wouldn't you tell us? This is really important. We will totally help you! This is what we all do!" Keefe said excitedly. Sophie smiled warmly at him.

"Thanks, Keefe... I know you were sent to look after me but, I kinda need to change and everything." Sophie said, her cheeks turning the slightest shade of pink. Keefe turned a much darker red and apologized, rushing out to the door. Right before he left he regained his cool facade for even a moment, to say one snarky comment.

"By the way, just because you can control lighting, doesn't mean you can make the spark between us go away!" Keefe smirked, his cheeks still slightly tinged red. Sophie threw (YEETED) her pillow where Keefe's head was before he slammed the door. Sophie chuckled and after recovering for some time, she got up from her bed and limped over to her mirror. Her body wasn't used to handling that much electricity, and she was really feeling it. Sophie stared in disgust at her singed hair and her gross body that was marked and singed with odor, dirt, and char. Sophie tried to look at her broken dirty body in the mirror and saw a little girl staring back at her instead. Young Amalia was staring at Sophie in the mirror, looking at her with disdain.

"What?" Sophie asked.

"Why won't you tell them about me?" Amalia asked, crossing her arms.

"They don't need that pressure. We have to focus on taking down the Neverseen." Sophie snapped.

"Do you want to go home?" Amalia suddenly brought up.

"Home?" Sophie posed it as a question but she knew what Amalia was talking about.

"Inalia. To see what is left of our family." Amalia asked.

"I want to go back but, what about here? What about the Neverseen?" Sophie argued.

"Our family were a legacy of assassins that were literally in the middle of taking down the Neverseen. And our elven friends are strong. They can take care of themselves! Do you not want to see Aunt Maria again? What about our brother?! What are you so afraid of?!-"

"WHAT IF THEY DONT WANT TO SEE ME?" Sophie screamed at her younger self.

"SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE I HAD TO BE TAKEN AWAY FROM MY FATHER AFTER HE 'PASSED'. I LEFT THEM FOR SEVEN YEARS!! I CAN'T GO BACK!" Sophie continued. Amalia continued to stare at her with a steely expression.

"I can't go back..." Sophie whimpered. Sophie felt her legs go weak, and she fell down to her knees.

"They wouldn't want me back. It will only open wounds in my mind and in theirs. I have his eyes, and after he passed... why would they want to see his eyes again? I will only remind them of him." Sophie sobbed. Sophie didn't hear a retort from Amalia. When Sophie glanced up, Sophie glanced back at her.

Amalia was gone.

Amalia was dead.

Only the shell of Amalia remained, going by the name of Sophie. Sophie limped over into her closet and pulled out one of her boots. She grabbed her hidden dagger from the boot and walked back over to the mirror. Sophie examined the plain dagger in the dull light of the dying fire and slight ray of sun coming through her curtains.

"I disagree," Amalia whispered in her head. Sophie snapped her head back to the mirror and stared at herself dead in the eyes.

"Amalia would be welcomed back with open arms and tears. Amalia is a Vatarian assassin who will return to the remains of her city of Inalia. She will never be stomped down into the dirt. She will learn from her ancestors and she will soar high above her enemies. Her brown eyes giving innocent hope and a feeling of safety." Amalia ranted in her head. Sophie felt her fist grasp onto the dagger even harder.

"Amalia will never die. She has gone through too much merda to die,"

Sophie held the dagger up high, her hands shaking.

"Amalia will soar."

Faster than a breath, Sophie slashed the dagger, releasing Amalia back into the wild.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wonder what Sophie did with that dagger of hers?

Also, hope you guys like the music! It is hard to find chill/sad type of atmosphere music without it being too modern. Lmao, I try.

But yeah I'm really bored and I had my laptop near me so I thought "WHY NOT" and wrote this up. Chapters are going to have a pretty irregular update schedule, every 1-3 days I think. Sometimes 2 chapters in one day (like today)! If I need a longer break I will make an update about it.

Anyway, remember to share, vote, and follow!

_Sibylline_