Ch. 35- The Loss

72 hours earlier...

"This is so infuriating!" Amalia cursed, taking her fingers off the piano keys and messing up her hair

"This is so infuriating!" Amalia cursed, taking her fingers off the piano keys and messing up her hair. They rode into Renisanca yesterday, and Allesandro managed to steal some time away from the guild. He decided he wanted to hear Amalia play the piano, but today she seemed irritable and distant.

"Amalia it is one of the simpler pieces! Normally you can play these no problem." Allesandro said, walking over from his velvet seat in the corner. Amalia crossed her arms in a huff. She was wearing one of Maria's new dresses so Maria could see if it was comfortable enough for her to sell in the boutique. Allesandro was happy to see her in a dress for once, she usually only wore leather pants and training tunics, even though he can't blame her about the dresses, they look like they are incredibly uncomfortable.

"I know, I just... I don't know maybe I'm on edge today." Amalia said sadly. Allesandro closed his book and walked over to his daughter, wrapping her in a hug.

"What's wrong, Candessa?" Allesandro murmured.

"Nothing..." Amalia said quietly. Allesandro watched as she pulled away from the hug and nervously tugged out an eyelash, a sign of her either lying or her being nervous.

"If you don't tell me I'll go in your head and find out there." Allesandro threatened. Amalia snapped her head towards her father, glaring at him through her stray blond hairs.

"You wouldn't break the laws of telepathy papa, I know that," Amalia said sternly.

"I will break any law when my daughter is concerned. Now, tell me what's wrong?" Allesandro asked again. Amalia sighed before pulling her knees up on the piano bench and wrapping her arms around her legs.

"I was in the market today with Mansi and Nour, Alexios was off doing who knows what. And Daralice, a girl from the schoolhouse, started talking about her family. She talked about how happy they all were, and everyone loved everyone in her family. She then saw me and started to ridicule me about... Eumelia." Amalia said with a small voice. Allesandro stiffened at the mention of his ex-lover. Amalia refused to call her mother and barely wanted to bring her up at all.

"Daralice started talking about how her family is whole, and how I scared Eumelia away..." Amalia whispered tears in her eyes. Allesandro kneeled down to try to stare his daughter in the eyes and grasped his daughters shaking hands with his own.

"Did I do something wrong, pater? Why did she think I wasn't worth staying for?" Amalia asked. Allesandro gently took his daughter's chin and pointed her teary gaze to his, letting his hand fall to her shoulder when she met his eyes.

"Amalia, your mother is one of the most elusive and strange women I have ever met. I was heartbroken when she left, but when I held you in my arms, I knew you were going to amount to great things. I have no idea where Eumelia is, and honestly, I don't want to know. She doesn't matter anymore. You will hear people whisper on the street about how our family is broken, but we know better. Our family is ours, and we know it's not broken in any way because we will always piece one another back together." Allesandro said.