Ch. 23- The Castle

I'm going to give a little warning, this chapter gets really dark. Please read at your own risk, I don't want to upset anyone.

_Sibylline_

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sophie woke with a start in an old grimy cell, her hands, and ankles in irons. Sophie was actually in her younger self's body for this memory. Sophie felt her body cry out for food against her shriveling frame, but she didn't care. Her father taught her everything about how to escape from prison (he learned it in his line of work). You don't make yourself noticed, you learn everything you can, and you wait patiently. The last part was the hardest for Sophie, waiting for the opportune moment to slip out. Not to mention Sophie wasn't the most uniquely trained; she was only five after all. Sophie strained to look outside the small window at the end of the hall, for any sign of her father. But she couldn't see any trace of him, which she guessed was a good thing if he was supposed to sneak her out. But they have a call, a sparrow bird call to be exact, that they would use to find one another. But Sophie didn't hear one sound of a sparrow, much less any other bird. All she could hear were the moans and cries of other captives. It turns out this slave project was quite old. 

The first children they have taken have grown old, and even though Vatarians can't die of old age, the stress and horrible living conditions took quite a toll on them. Their faces were grim and hollow. They tried to protect the younger children who were also taken, but they couldn't do much. About two days ago, a rebellion of about 70 slaves tried to uprise, but they were put down quickly. Their punishment was going to be today. Sophie didn't want to go, but she had to blend in with the crowd. Sophie also noticed the other prisoners were starting to turn on one another, but they left her alone because of her father. She still tried to jump in and break up some fights every once and a while, when she felt like it. Sophie didn't even flinch as her prison door swung open, and guards collected her and the other children to watch the public punishment. Sophie considered herself strong, but watching the three rebellion leaders standing on a platform shaking with fear, it made her want to run away and cry until she could cry anymore. She wanted her father back, her family! Was her guild doing nothing to get her out of here?! Is she that disposable?

"You all stand here today to observe, and learn, what happens when you disobey our authority!" A headman cried over the crowds. The slaves all stayed silent, including the ones up on the stage.

"You all..." The headsman turned to the slaves on top of the stage. They all quivered and shook when he directed his glance to them. He strode towards them as they prepared for the worst beating of their life until he strode past them and towards the door leading to the outside behind them.

"-Are free to go." He said smugly. Sophie's jaw fell open as they removed the ropes from the slaves waiting on stage and nudged them towards the door. Sophie knew something was up, including the two other children beside her. They started to walk forwards to help them, but Sophie grabbed them and pulled them back. Sophie aggressively shook her head and gave the silent look of to bear with it. The two kids were also from her cell and nodded sadly.

"We are just free to go?" One of the rebellion leaders asked.

"You might want to hurry, it is dusk after all, nightfall will be coming soon." The headsman said, annoyed. The three rebellion leaders looked at one another before sprinting towards the door. They made it out, and the headsman slammed the door from behind them. You could hear their whoops and cheers as they ran from the camp.

"Just wait, I know you all are anxious." The headsman said slyly, a cruel smile growing on his face. The large window right above the door showed the sun just about to set behind the horizon. Suddenly, a black swarm of hungry birds soared into the sky, screeching out for their next meal.