Acceptance

Jared blew out the candle then he looked around with a forced smile.

"I'll bring a knife," Shannon smiled as Jared turned towards me.

"How did you meet her?"

"I... we are working with her cousin's band..." I admitted and he frowned, his look turned cold.

I realized now I just made it sound like I have known about her all along.

I tried to explain but Shannon stepped there, encouraging Jared to cut his amazing vegan lemon cake.

From then on everything was just too busy. People congratulating, giving gifts, cheering already for Christmas and drinking even more.

It was already two a clock in the night when the last two guests walked out the door as well.

Jared walked them out as I was standing in the living room, waiting.

He stumbled his way back in.

"Jared, I want you to know that I only got to know it yesterday... on the party... she came along, I tried not to even look at her but she just wouldn't leave me until we talked," I explained desperately.

"What does she want?" he asked.

"She didn't say,"

"Oh, come on! One just doesn't want to meet up with their ex who they cheated on, lied to and had used, to ask how they are!" He barked and I trembled by his angry shout.

I shrugged hugging myself trying to say something, but he continued with more fire.

"Does she want money? Does she have something to use against me? Wasn't the cover up story, what saved her ass enough?" his roaring voice echoed in the huge living room as he walked towards me.

"I don't know! I don't know Jared!" I shouted, stepping a few steps back shaking my head nervously.

He looked at me with fire in his eyes, panting angrily and I pulled myself even more together.

"She didn't... seem angry or... suspicious..." I stated quietly. "And the other reason for wanting to see an ex is... she seemed like she is... she might just wanna talk to you and see if you would want to get back with her that's... that's the only reason I can imagine," I looked back to him trying to see any reaction in his eyes.

He took the last big sip of his wine then ran his palm through his hair, looking up with a sigh.

"I'm just... her name just makes me so mad," he hissed. "All these memories of... when she came back to me... all those months she just used me while I was planning our fucking wedding!"

"I never asked... how... in Norway how did you guys end it?" I asked swallowing hard.

Jared just shrugged, sitting onto the couch.

"Ugly."

I nodded with a sigh.

Somehow, I thought so. He was angry for so long and after that he just started using women and always told how he doesn't want to deal with break-ups anymore.

"You... told her about the... ring?"

"Of course not," he huffed.

"Maybe she just... wants to get on good terms now." I said uncertain watching Jared resting his head in his palms. "I... I guess I'm just gonna go now..." I mumbled turning towards the door.