Friend or foe

The painkillers worked like magic and by the time I got ready I stood in front of my mirror with a light smile on my face on Friday evening, just before I had to leave for the Company party.

I wore the red dress I purchased for the Gallery opening in London; figured since it was so expensive I could make a good use of it tonight as well, knowing everyone who woks at Universal Music like to be fancy on occasions like this.

I put my hair up in high ponytail, leaving two strings of hair fall freely by my ears, giving more attention to the beautiful lotus flower earrings I got from Jared.

Taking a deep breath, I had nothing else to do than to wait for the taxi to arrive.

Since there is going to be an open bar, there is no chance I will drive there.

I was just checking my purse if I have everything with, when the familiar sound of Snapchat brought an excited smile on my face. The only person who still used Snapchat was Jared; not that I anyway had a lot of contacts there.

Opening the picture, my eyes read the caption quickly, "Thinking of you " before I focused on the photo.

My eyes widened biting my lips, then I let out a chuckle shaking my head.

He was laying on the bed, in sweatpants with an obvious bulge blinding my sight.

"Looking yummy"

Licking my lips I peered down to my phone blushing on my sentence, then I took a picture of myself, posing sideways in the mirror sending to him.

I raised my eyebrows when the notification came that he took a screenshot.

"You are violating snapchat rules!" I quickly typed.

"Who cares, I NEED that picture!"

He answered and I grinned then I saw him typing.

"And don't forget that throw-on!"

Laughing, I answered, "I won't! Love u!"

Stepping into the venue at Santa Monica beach, I looked around amazed. They did not hold back for this one. There was a stage set up for concerts later on as many of the represented artists were around and some were scheduled to play. There were two open bars placed on each side of the big hall area. The place was swimming in dark blue lights while people were mingling, laughing around, having a drink or finger food in their hands.

First and foremost, before trying to locate any of my colleagues, I made my way to the bar on the left hand side which seemed to have less people around, but before I even could get into the cue, out of the hundreds of people around, that one, high pitched voice was the first one to greet me; the one I did not expect, or at least hoped to not hear ever again.

"Oh, Avery, I hoped you would be here," the irony in her voice was dripping.

I turned around stunned.

"Lora; what are you doing here?" I asked grabbing into my purse more.

"I know people, you know," she stated as she stepped closer and in her super high heels she was intimidatingly taller than me. "Look at that dress... Is this the only one you have?" she asked, tilting her head. "Or the only one you look presentable in?" she asked dragging the throw-on down from me.

"Lora, stop!" I asked trying to grab the material back.

"Look at those boobs! Do you have some socks in there, yeah?" she laughed, trying to touch me, but I backed off quickly, hugging myself. "You know this skin going to look ridiculous when you get old and wrinkly. Jared does not know what he signed up for," she spat.