Chapter 34

Title: The Strong Survives...

A large bullfrog crawled out of the ground and started roaring for human flesh, suddenly, Snek was behind it. "Hold on a minute right there, I, A Class Hero, Snakebite Sneck have come and shall not let you hurt any of these people.", he said before taking a fighting stance, the people cheered for him.

"At the time, I was shining more brilliantly than before. I was one of the elites who carried important burdens of saving the masses. 'I am a true Hero!', or so I thought... but it gave me purpose. My heart and soul was filled to the brim with pride and conceit. However, as I continued down my path, there came an enemy I couldn't beat no matter what I did. And then I found what makes the S Class different, and further more amongst the nameless public... there was someone far stronger than me.", Sneck's narration was paused by his own deeper thoughts.

"Recently there' been certain point of doubt starting to well up within me"

Sneck whirled his fist back and unleashed a string of one armed attacks, his fist taking the appearance of a snake, which what was his martial arts style which was swiftly dodged by Aruku, "Are pro heroes truly necessary?", the hero attempted to preform a kick below the waist to knock him off balance. This succeeded, only for Aruku to leap back up and preform a flip. "Even if I weren't around, even if the Hero Association wasn't around...", his inner thoughts continued as he kept attacking and missing. He then performed a two handed thrust which sent out a snake. Which Aruku dodged.

"Would there be someone around to
Exterminate the Monsters? I'd rather not be in self denial, rather I try to be as aware as possible. 'Well this is troubling', once again I found myself thinking that. At the very least, the man in front of me, certainly doesn't need me to protect him. What's certain is that... he's strong, he's a human who's strong to the point where he's bored.", Sneck stopped attacking and was just panting heavily.

"Are you done? Even Max's attacks were better.", Aruku said adjusting his sleeve a bit, since his arm was kinda itchy.

"Why don't you counter attack?", Sneck said as he took his stance again. "All you do is dodge, are you mocking me?", his answer was only replied with a shrug.

"Because I'm gauging you're ability, as much vaunted Class A Hero, I'm surprised you and Max get paid so much. But you gotta follow orders and fight monsters, and I hate taking orders.", said they pale skinned man before he chuckled. "But I do love money."

"Why are you so strong?!", Sneck asked the ever so present question lingering. "You have no sense of duty or responsibility, and you appear to lack any ambition.", he said as Aruku just shrugged again.

"I don't know, I've never thought of that.", Aruku said, admitting that he's never even once considered how he has such amazing strength. "I used to just casually spar with my teacher or blow off training and hang out with girls, and now I don't even train.", was his answer to that. "So, that satisfy you?"

"I detest you!", Sneck said popping his knuckles and was tempted to just beat him to death.

"Now... can I ask you a question? Why is a wimp like you a Hero? What's the point?", Aruku's gut wrenching question ripped through Sneck like a knife. "There are so many Monsters these days that you barely make a difference. Heroes or no Heroes, some people survive and some don't. Monster, Villain or anything of the sort weeds out the weak.", he said with a... scary bland tone.

"Are you suggesting I let everyone die?!"

Aruku chuckled at his proclamation. "I didn't say that, try to help and fight all the Monsters you want. You can put a show and preserve the peace... but that changes nothing.", he said with a little smile.