Alone

When the flight landed at Delhi, Naina could feel a stiffness in Sameer's demeanor. Though he was talking normally, she could see his eyes lose the sparkle that was always there.

"Yahan mausam kitna achha hai na." She wrapped her hands around his arm as they stepped out of the airport.

"Tumne jawab nahi diya... yahan sardi hona kab shuru hogi?" She asked brightly when he didn't respond.

"Oh haan, main zara apni cab dhoondh raha tha... mausam achha hai... theek hai... sardi toh December mein hi hoti hai." He answered in a flat voice.

"Arre, yeh cab abhi tak kyon nahi aayi... itni thak gayi hun main aur ab intezar karna pad raha hai." Naina let out a long exhale, wiping her face for non existent sweat.

Sameer turned to her, "Tum thak gayi ho toh yahan ruk jayen thodi der? Paas mein hi ek hotel hai... ek do ghante aaram kar lo fir chal padenge."

She searched his eyes for a while before speaking softly, "Jab yahan apna ghar hai toh hotel mein kyon rahenge, Sameer?"

The veil of rancour fell over his eyes, "Apna ghar nahi hai woh... Mr Somani ka hai... apni sirf mummy hain... lekin yahan woh bhi..."

"Woh bhi kya?" She prodded when he didn't go further.

"Chodo Naina, yeh sab baatein kyon kar rahein hain hum... aao hotel chalte hain, main wahin se cab wale ko phone kar dunga ki humein baad mein hotel se pick kar le." He tried to evade the topic.

"Nahin, hum yahin se chalenge... itni bhi thakaan nahi hai... aur car mein baith ke hi toh jaana hai." She gave him a comforting smile.

A sound of horn made Sameer look at the road. A white car waited in front of them. He took out the slip from his pocket and checked the license plate. It was their booked vehicle.

Driver loaded the luggage in the car and they started the journey to Nainital.

Airport was at the far end on one side of the city and they had to head in the opposite direction. It meant that they had to cross the entire city.

Naina was impressed with the wide roads, lined with thick stemmed trees. Big bunglows on both sides of the road seemed to be hidden by the foliage.

"Mummy ka ghar bhi yahin kahin hai kya?" She craned her neck to get a better look but hardly anything was visible behind the green cover.

"Yeh Delhi ka woh hissa hai jahan sab politicians rehte hain... yeh sab ministers ke ghar hain isliye bahar police ke guard khade hain." Sameer explained.

"Kya raaste mein unka ghar aayega? Mujhe dekhna hai." She asked innocently.

"Nahi, unke ghar ka raasta alag hai. Hum wahan se nahi jaa rahe." He gave a clipped reply.

The traffic on roads thickened once they crossed the diplomatic area. However, wide roads ensured that there were no jams anywhere. What Naina found different from Ahmedabad, or even Mumbai, was abundance of greenery. Though, unlike Ahmedabad, city was teeming with people.

After travelling through the city for more than an hour, they finally hit the highway towards Nainital. The road became narrower and outside scene changed considerably. Open fields and small houses were the only view on both sides.

Naina shifted closer to Sameer, resting her head on his arm. He held her hand, linking their fingers.

"Ek baat puchu, gussa mat hona." Her voice was low.

He hummed in response.

"Tum kitni baar yahan aaye ho?" She looked up at him.

Though her question seemed straight, he knew what she wanted to ask.

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें