A step ahead

Morning light filtered through the cracks in curtains, lending a golden glow to the room. Naina stirred in bed, patting the side where Sana slept. Her hand landed on empty space. A knowing smile spread on her face. She turned to the other side.

Sana was sleeping cosily between her and Sameer, her small arm around his neck. Sameer's palm rested on her back.

It had become a routine for her now. If Naina tried to make her sleep between them at night she would adamantly refuse, jumping to her own bed, with the soft rabbit toy in tow. But every morning, she woke up with them. Naina had seen her a few times, crawling groggily up to the foot of the bed and coming to settle down in the center.

Getting on her elbow, she leaned to kiss her daughter on the head. Same moment, Sameer turned to his side... and their position changed. Her lips brushed against his, instead of touching her daughter.

His eyes shot open. Seeing her face so close, he craned his neck and pecked her on the mouth... his lips stretching into a mischievous smile at her bewildered expression.

"Aaj kitne dino baad meri jaan ne aise pyar se uthaya hai mujhe. Madam, kuch khaas baat hai kya?" He mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

The streak of colour crept up her neck, "Main Sana ko kiss kar rahi thi.. tum... tumne karwat le li toh..."

"Toh?" He arched one brow.

"Toh kya... itne saal ho gaye par tumhara yeh 'toh' khatam nahi hua. Pata nahi kya puchte rehte ho saara time." The streak spanned across her face and she tried to sit up.

His free hand pressed her arm to make her stay in the same position.

"Itne saal ho gaye par tumhara yeh har baar mere kareeb aane pe laal ho jaana bhi toh khatam nahi hua, jaan." His rough voice sounded more husky when he lowered it, like now.

His half open eyes, gruff voice, dark shadow on the jaw, warm fragrance... her heartbeat quickened. Involuntarily, her fingers stroked his prickly stubble.

He held her hand, keeping it firmly on his jaw, "Sirf ungliyon se nahi chalega. Thoda aur."

He eyed her lips. She bit the lower one.

"Chaar." He groaned.

"Chaar? Kya chaar?" Her eyes crinkled.

He let out a long exhale, glancing down at the little girl sleeping between them, then looked up at her lips, "Manaa hai na aise karna... ab tum Sana ke saamne karti ho toh main tumhe iski sazaa bhi nahi de paata. Isliye list bana raha hun... jab mauka milega toh saare pichle hisaab poore karunga. Aaj ka milake chaar baar ho gaya."

She chuckled, "Kitne din se ginti kar rahe ho?"

"Kal shaam se... usse pehle ka hisaab toh kal subah vasool kar liya tha... bhool gayi kya?" His one brow rose up, along with an impish smirk.

"Chup raho. Zara bhi sharm nahi aati tumhe." Her cheeks burned at the memory of previous day.

Their were some new blooms in the garden and Sana had been ecstatic to see when Ramdhari mentioned them. He took her out, and both of them got busy playing on the new swing that Sameer had put up in the garden. Making use of the opportunity, Sameer had followed her in the bathroom, brushing aside her protests.

"Kal ko yaad kar rahi ho? Ramdhari ko bolun Sana ko jhoole pe le jaane ke liye?" He narrowed his eyes, leaning ahead to whisper close to her face.

Her mouth opened to speak but she stopped, as Sana threw her legs to straighten herself, making Sameer move back a little.

They looked at their daughter. She squeezed her eyes tight, twisted herself in different directions... and opened her eyes slowly.

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें