Homecoming

"Sameer, Naina bohot thak gayi hai. Usse ab sona chahiye." Phulla bua softly pressed his shoulder.

They had been with her and the baby for almost an hour. She had spoken to the doctor about Naina and baby's health. Both were in perfect condition, but rest was much needed for her to get over the exhaustion.

Sameer had noticed how Naina was struggling to keep her eyes open. Though he didn't want to leave the side of both his girls even for a moment, he nodded at Phulla bua and stood up from the chair next to her bed.

"Naina, main baahar hi hun. Tum aaram se so jao." He cupped her cheek, giving an assuring smile.

Phulla bua picked up the baby and placed her in the crib, patting her gently. When Sameer looked back from the door, Naina had already drifted off to sleep. Once outside, Phulla bua asked him to go to the public phone booth and inform others. The first call he made was to Ramdhari. However much he rebuked him, Sameer never thought of him as a servant... he was more like a younger sibling, even though he was elder to Sameer in age. Ramdhari started his chants to thank the Gods, still holding the phone.

"Meri taraf se bhi bhagwanji ko dhanyavad de dena." Instead of getting irritated, Sameer smiled before disconnecting.

Bela was ecstatic when he told her. She said she would call Anand in office and they would come over soon to meet Naina and the baby. Pandit's excited shriek made him jerk the phone away. The way his voice drifted away for a few seconds, Sameer was sure he had hugged the phone. He said he would go home right away and come to meet them, along with Preeti. Munna was to reach Ahmedabad later that day so Sameer spoke to Swati when he called up their house. She congratulated him in a choked voice.

After making all the calls, he stepped out of the booth and rested his back against the side wall. The conversation of morning seemed to be from some distant future... when Phulla bua had asked to go to the market. Thinking about it, he was thankful for the strike today. Had Naina gone into labour while Phulla bua was not at home... he shivered at the thought. Whatever had happened felt like a panic situation at that time, but in the end, it all fell in place.

Anand and Bela arrived shortly, with beaming smiles and arms laden with several bags.

"Bohot bohot badhai ho tumhe, Sameer. Aakhir tumhari beti ki muraad poori ho gayi." Anand patted his head after a warm hug.

"Hum dono ko pehle se hi yakeen tha, chachaji." Sameer replied matter of factly.

Bela kissed his forehead, congratulating him. Phulla bua opened the door slightly... Naina was still asleep. They decided to wait outside for some time. Bela had brought some paranthas for them, knowing that they had skipped lunch. Sameer had no appetite. He did not feel any requirement for food or water, desperate to go back to the room, and be close to both his girls.

Phulla bua forced him to sit down, thrusting a rolled alu parantha in his hand, "Hospital mein hai iska matlab yeh nahi ki khana na kha ke bimar padega toh tujhe issi kamre mein admit kar denge. Chal, chup kar ke kha."

He pouted at her, "Bua dadi, main Naina ke saath khaunga. Usne bhi kuch nahi khaya hai. Iss time tak toh woh chaar baar kha leti thi."

"Naina ka khana alag hai. Jab uthegi, Bela usse khila degi." Phulla bua smiled, melting at his concern.

"Alag kyon? Naina ko bhi yeh alu paranthe bohot pasand hain. Woh manaa nahi karegi." He said with conviction.

Bela came over to him, showing a packed container, "Naina yeh khayegi. Khichdi. Woh abhi itna bhaari khana nahi kha sakti."

He gave a perplexed look, "Nahi chachiji, Naina ko iss tarah ke khaane se koi problem nahi hoti. Paranthe toh uske favourite hain. Hamesha se khaati hai toh abhi kyon nahi kha sakti?"

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें