Perfect present

When the shrill ring of alarm woke up Naina in the morning, she felt she had slept just five minutes back. But checking the clock, she realised it was time to get ready for 'sargi'... the early morning feast that ladies have before sunrise prior to a day long fast of karwachouth.

Her eyes moved to her husband. He was sleeping on his stomach, one arm possesively around her waist. As always, she was mesmerised by the roughness on his chin and cheek, and the hair falling recklessly on his forehead. She wondered how he would look years later. But the image did not form in her mind. Probably, he'd always be boyish in his looks, presenting a picture of innocence as long as his eyes are closed but the moment he opens them, giving her an intense, impassioned look, there was nothing innocent about him.

Shaking her head to rid herself of these thoughts, she lightly held his hand to lift it off herself. His arm secured around her with more strength, and he scooted closer to her.

Sighing, she shook him, "Sameer, hato please, mujhe uthna hai."

"Abhi toh soye the, Naina... abhi subah nahi hui hai... tum bhi so jao." He seeked her warmth, pushing his face into her hair.

"Sameer, mujhe sargi ke liye uthna hai... mummy ne kaha tha na kal... aaj vrat hai mera... karwachouth ka." She lifted herself a bit, as much as she could manage under his grip.

His eyes flew open, "Arre haan, aaj toh humein vrat rakhna hai."

She smiled, running her fingers in his hair, "Tumhe zaroorat nahi hai. Tum so jao."

He sat up quickly, "Meri jaan khana nahi khayegi aur main kha lun... aisa toh kabhi ho hi nahi sakta."

She didn't want him to stay without food for the entire day, "Sameer, please, yeh sirf patni ko rakhna hota hai, apne pati ki lambi umr ke liye, uski jaan ki salamati ke liye."

"Main bhi toh apni jaan ki salamati ke liye rakh raha hun... achha hai na, double faayda hoga mujhe." He said brightly.

"Kaise?" She furrowed her brows.

"Meri jaan tum hi toh ho... tum mere paas rahogi toh mujhe kuch ho hi nahi sakta." His eyes turned soft.

She was left with no words.

They got ready quickly, him in a kurta and Naina in a suit.

Vishakha had already set the table with variety of eatables, including sweets and fruits. She was surprised to see Sameer.

"Tum bhi uth gaye? Tumhe laga tumhari Naina ko main theek se khana nahi khilaungi?" She teased him.

"Mummy, woh... Sameer bhi... maine toh mana kiya lekin..." Naina lowered her eyes, embarrassed to mention to his mother that he wanted to fast for her.

Vishakha's eyes went wide.

"Sameer. Tum kaise vrat rakhoge? Poore din bina khaye kaise rahoge, beta? Pehle kabhi nahi rakha tumne." She held his hand, frowning.

Sameer glanced at his wife, "Naina bhi toh pehli baar rakh rahi hai. Jab woh kar sakti hai toh main bhi uske liye rakh sakta hun... rakhna chahta hun... apni khushi se... agar woh mere liye bhooki rahegi toh main kaise khana kha sakta hun, mummy?"

She stared at her son... the glimpse of her father was unmistakable.

With misty eyes, she smiled at him, "Tumne apne nanu se bohot kuch seekh liya, Sameer. Tum mein mujhe papa ki saari khoobiyaan dikhne lagi hain. Yeh confidence, yeh personality... yeh tumhara aatmvishvaas, sab tumhe nanu se mila hai... isliye tumhara pyar bhi unke jaisa hai... pataa hai, papa bhi hamesha yeh vrat rakhte the mummy ke saath... unn dono ke jaisa hi rishta hai tum dono ka, khud se pehle ek doosre ko rakhne wala... I'm so proud of you, beta."

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें