Jhatka

Naina was surprised next morning when there were no relatives or neighbours present for Ganesh pooja. A small pedestal over a side cabinet held the idol, along with lit diyas and other things arranged in different platters. In her house, each function of a wedding was brimming with close and distant relatives, who had travelled to join the family for all rituals. Even if chachaji managed to make staying arrangements for them in neighbouring houses, all those people spent almost the entire day with them, going to their designated place of stay only to get dressed or sleep.

She looked around. The house didn't look anything like their own house which used to be teeming with people sitting on all available surfaces, constantly demanding something or the other, be it a toothpaste, hair oil, a towel, an iron, a safety pin, bindi, besan or multani mitti for face pack or innumerable cups of tea.

"Sameer, koi rishtedaar nahi aaye kya abhi tak? Der se aayenge?" She whispered to Sameer, when Vishakha wasn't around.

He shrugged. During his short stays here, he had never seen any relative visit the house. There were a few phone calls on some occasions but that too was very rare. And he knew why his mom's distant cousin had not come. Kamlesh mama had eyes on nanu's house after the latter passed away. He also wanted to merge his small business with nanu's vast empire, and run everything along with his son. When Vishakha had brought him to Ahmedabad, he was devastated to see the house transferred in Naina's name. To worsen the injury, Sameer had refused his help for the business, showing complete faith in munshiji and his own capability, along with Naina's help. Kamlesh mama could not bear the insult metted out to him, and had left immediately, saying he never wanted to think of them as a family, after such betrayal.

Betrayal... a scornful smile spread on Sameer's face. He was fully aware what would have happened had he allowed the vile, scheming cousin of his mom take over nanu's well set up business.

His thoughts were disrupted as Sana, who was in his arms, squeaked at the dancing flames of diyas. He smiled, taking her closer to the decorated place. She flung her hand ahead, hoping to catch the bright light. He held her hand, shaking his head when she frowned at him.

"Isse haath nahi lagate, baby. Tumko lag jayegi." He murmured to her, showing a painful expression to make her understand.

How much she could comprehend, he wasn't sure, but she did not try to catch the diyas again, happy to watch the flowers, the thin streak of smoke emitting from incense sticks, decorated plates and other new things.

Shortly, panditji came over and Rohan was called. They all sat down for the pooja which lasted not more than fifteen minutes. After the blessings of the deity who was always worshipped as the remover of obstacles, Vishakha asked everyone to have a quick breakfast so that haldi ceremony could be started.

When they were in the kitchen, preparing haldi, Naina hesitantly turned her gaze to Vishakha, "Mummy, koi rishtedar nahi aaye shaadi ke liye?"

Vishakha continued with the task at hand, replying in a low voice, "Koi rishtedar hai hi nahi."

Naina was amazed, thinking about the hoardes of people in their house at weddings... some of whom were only seen for these functions.

"Aisa bhi hota hai? Hamare yahan toh shaadi ke teen chaar din pehle se hi itne rishtedar aa jaate hain ki lagta hai ghar mein mela laga hai." She thought aloud.

Vishakha smiled at her simplicity, "Achha hai na, ghar mein itne log hote hain toh khushi ka mahaul bana rehta hai."

"Haan, aur bhaag daud ka bhi... sabki farmaaishein poori karne ki." Naina giggled.

Vishakha let out a long exhale before explaining, "Vivek iklaute bete hain. Unke papa bhi akele hi the. Kuch cousins wagerah hain lekin mummyji ki sabko neecha dikhane ki aadat se dheere dheere sabne milna julna chod diya. Maine Vivek se poocha tha jab Deepika paida hui aur uske function pe koi nahi aaya. Unhone kaha bohot door ke hain saare rishtedar isliye mummyji ko unhe bulana pasand nahi."

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें