Roles

"Ek chocolate ice cream." Sameer told the waiter when he approached their table in the restaurant.

"Nahi strawberry." Naina said quickly.

Sameer gave a confused look to her for a moment. Then, turning to the waiter, he nodded.

When they were alone, he asked, "Tumhe toh chocolate pasand hai na... strawberry kabse khane lagi? Pehle kabhi nahi li tumne."

"Mujhe nahi, isko chahiye." Naina innocently pointed at her belly.

He watched in fascination as she relished the ice cream. Before he could ask anything, she summoned the waiter.

"Ek butterscotch." She ordered.

He did not say a word, recalling the day when she had gorged on gulab jamuns.

Next flavour was tutti fruity, then vanilla, nutty almonds and then pineapple.

"Inse pucho zara sitaphal ice cream hai kya?" She told Sameer without looking up as she lapped up the last few spoons of pineapple ice cream.

The waiter was next to their table the moment Sameer looked up.

"Sitaphal toh nahi hai, sir." He said with regret.

"Toh chocolate le aao, upar se extra chocolate sauce ke saath." Naina said casually, pushing another empty plate away.

Sameer placed his elbow on the table, resting his palm on a fisted hand, watching his wife as she happily dunked the spoon into rich chocolate ice cream.

Not exactly a smeared face as he had imagined for their daughter, but she also had some traces of chocolate sauce around her lips. He longed to lean ahead and wipe them, but the restaurant was almost full.

"Aur kuch?" He inquired after she relaxed back, satisfied.

"Nahi, abhi ka ho gaya." She let out a long breath.

He picked up a napkin, telling her to clear the chocolate around her mouth.

After she made a trip to washroom, they left the restaurant.

"Sameer, yeh dekho." She tugged at his arm, excitedly pointing at something.

He looked in the direction of her finger... and saw the balloon seller.

"Tum balloon ka kya karogi" He was amused.

"Mujhe nahi, isko chahiye." She looked fondly at her tummy.

His gaze drifted down. Was the baby aware of his thoughts of a while ago? Was their daughter making Naina do whatever he had been dreaming of when they left from home? Was she able to read his mind?

"Sameer, chalo na, kahaan kho jaate ho baar baar?" She shook his arm, breaking the chain of thoughts.

They bought a bunch of helium balloons, in different colours. Tying the ends of their threads together, the seller asked them to hold carefully, as the balloons would go up if the grip loosened.

She kept looking at them for a while, then opened her fist. A smile played on her lips as the bunch lifted up in air.

Sameer gave her a puzzled look.

"Socha nanu ke paas bhej dun... hamari baby ki taraf se." She dipped her head to the side, still looking up at the bright balloons, going up with great speed.

He didn't know what to say. She was being a child and a mother... and a granddaughter at the same time. And he loved her in every role.

They stood looking up till a faint image could be made out... and then, the balloons faded against the star lit sky.

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें