Likeness

Sameer jerked, bending over the little one as she howled non stop, "Naina, yeh ro kyon rahi hai? Isse kuch problem hai kya?"

"Itne chote bachhe roke hi sab batate hain. Iski neend khul gayi yeh batane ke liye ro rahi hai." Naina slipped both her palms under the baby and lifted her carefully.

She held her against her chest, moving to and fro, "Light off karke bas lamp jalne do." She murmured to him.

He quickly switched off the bright light, letting the warm glow of lamp fill up the room. He was surprised to see that the baby was quiet again in a few minutes.

"Main sula dun?" He held out his hands.

Naina smiled, indicating with a flick of her head that he needed to come closer to take the baby. He swiftly moved to her side, folding his arms to hold his daughter. Baby started to cry the moment he held her.

"Naina, isko mere paas aana achha nahi laga kya?" He was crestfallen.

"Buddhu, woh isliye ro rahi hai ki tumne usse khud se door pakda hai. Meri tarah khud se chipka ke rakho. Usse mehsoos hona chahiye." Naina helped him to put the baby against his chest.

Her crying stopped. Sameer grinned, exhilarated at being able to soothe her. Next instant, she started to wriggle, though not crying. He looked at her in alarm.

"Ab shayad usse khelna hai. Tum yahan sulao usse. Agar aankhen khuli hain toh matlab jaag gayi hai." Naina recalled what Bela had told her.

She helped Sameer put the baby back on the small sheets placed in the center of the bed.

What he saw was magical... he was spellbound.

The baby looked at him with big black eyes.

He forgot to breathe. This was the first time he was seeing her eyes... beautiful, doe shaped ones as Naina.

"Iski aan... aankhen..." He stuttered, unable to speak, or blink.

Naina dipped her head to rest on his arm, "Tumhare jaisi hain... ekdum gehri aur khoobsurat."

He drew in a sharp breath. Her eyes were indeed black, just like him. But shape was similar to Naina. She stared at him, moving under the wrap that covered her... and he felt she was trying to talk to him. He wanted to talk too. Because of her constant movement, the sheet wrapped around her loosened. Naina removed the soft fabric that was keeping her restricted, and her tiny fisted hands and arms made jerking movements. If Sameer was fascinated earlier, he was enchanted now... this was the first time he was seeing a baby of this size, from this close.

On the roads, in public transport and in other public places, he had seen small babies being carried by their parents, but it wasn't something that interested him so he didn't pay much attention. Even in movies, whenever a small baby was shown, he watched it without any change of expression.

But today, seeing his own daughter... the tiny, little creation that lay before his eyes filled him with awe and adoration. He bend over her and slowly placed a hand on her side. His palm covered her entire body, from shoulder to feet. As she felt the touch on her arm, she kicked wildly... and the feather like kick landed on his chest.

Naina chuckled, "Aise hi khelti thi jab andar thi. Ab dekh lo khud hi kaise badmashi karti hai."

His eyes drifted to her legs which were uncovered now, because of her furious kicks. He held her foot between thumb and two fingers since it was too tiny to wrap his hand around it.

The baby took out a gurgling sound when he placed a soft kiss on her miniscule, curled toes.

He looked sharply at Naina, "Kya hua?"

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें