First birthday

Next few days, Sameer tried his best to make Sana say 'mumma'. Whenever Naina wasn't around, he would prompt his little girl to speak the word, slowly rolling it out of his mouth so she could see how to form the syllables. Sana watched carefully, sitting still when he tried that... but never once uttered the word. Her repeated chants of 'Papa' made Sameer feel more bad for Naina when she looked wistfully at Sana every time she called out to him. But his efforts were all in vain as Sana didn't let out the word both he and Naina so badly wanted to hear.

Their trip to a Govt school was successful, though. The Principal was extremely grateful to them for coming with this offer. He informed that there were a few deserving students every year who couldn't pursue studies after school because their parents couldn't afford it. In case of girls, it was an accepted practice to marry them off after basic education. The norm of society that a girl has no requirement for a degree once she gets married, refused to die down in spite of the changing times and developments in recent years.

Naina recalled her taiji and father's words, "Karna kya hai digriyon ka... ek baar shaadi ho jaaye toh yeh sab raddi mein hi jaani hain na. Fir kisliye paise barbaad karne hain? Upar se college mein ladkon ke saath milna julna karengi toh kal ko khandaan ke naam pe kaalikh lag jayegi... tab baithe rehna sar pakad ke."

With a long exhale, she thanked her stars for having chachaji in her life earlier and Sameer now.

He assured the Principal that they would provide the sponsorship every year for one student. Naina was proud of him when he added the offer of paying not only the fees but hostel charges as well if the college happens to be in another city. She was well aware of the reason... Sameer didn't want anyone to go through the same struggle as she did, during initial months of college in Mumbai.

It was highly gratifying to know that they could help someone realise their dreams.

At home, the plans for birthday party were chalked out. Anand was impressed with their decision of a small party at home. Munna Pandit were ecstatic to spend an entire evening together... like olden days. They did meet each other but now that they were all deeply engrossed in their work, these meetings were not as frequent. Also, the expansion of family had added to the responsibilities which led to lesser interaction. Pandit and Preeti were busy with Harsh. Swati was in the seventh month of her pregnancy. Munna's new business was flourishing, and he was happy as Swati had started to help him with it after his Surat trips ended.

"Aap khaane ki chinta mat kijiye. Hum banaa denge." Ramdhari offered when Sameer was telling Naina about some caterers.

Sameer gave him a look from top to bottom, "Tujhe pata bhi hai birthday ke liye kya kya banta hai?"

"Humein yeh pata hai jo log aayenge unhe kya kya pasand hai. Bas wohi sab bana denge. Aur Sana baby ke liye cake toh hoga hi." Ramdhari said matter of factly.

Sameer was shocked, "Tujhe cake banana aata hai?"

Ramdhari nodded, "Naina bhabhi se seekha hai."

Sameer narrowed his eyes, "Teri seekhi hui kuch cheezein pehle bhi khayi hain. Nahi, yeh risk nahi lena. Cake hum order pe banwayenge."

"Hum bana lenge, Sameer." Naina intervened before they both got engrossed in their banter.

He looked at her, "Mujhe pata hai tum bana logi. Aur tumne sikhaya hai toh yeh Ramdhari bhi kuch theek thaak sa bana sakta hai. Lekin main nahi chahta ki tum log saara din kitchen mein lage raho. Isliye hum khana, pina, cake sab bahar se hi mangwayenge."

The decorations were put up a day prior to the party. A big blowout of Happy Birthday was placed on the main wall. Whatever Sameer had bought was used up to give the room a festive look. Except the balloons, which were to be delivered next afternoon, all arrangements were in order.

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें