What's in a name

The picture might appear same as yesterday but look closely.
It isn't.

It felt that she had just closed her eyes when Naina heard the baby crying. She quickly got up, slipping her hands under the little one to pick her up. She realised her nappy needed a change. Bela had placed a basket next to her bed, with hoardes of fresh ones. Carefully, Naina changed the clothes of baby to make her comfortable. When she checked the clock, it was two hours since she had slept. Exactly two hours later, she was up again. This time, so was Sameer.

"Naina, baby raat ko kyon ro rahi hai? Usse darr toh nahi lag raha? Main light on kar dun?" He was tensed.

Naina calmly shook her head, fishing out a fresh nappy from the basket, "Light nahi chahiye. Uske kapde geele ho gaye isliye ro rahi hai. Pehle bhi ek baar uthi thi. Main kar dungi, tum so jao."

"Tumne uthaya kyon nahi mujhe?" He was surprised how he could remain asleep when the baby cried.

After finishing her job, Naina put the little one back in bed, patting her gently. She looked up at Sameer who had been watching each of her move with keen interest.

"Sameer, tum kal bohot thak gaye hoge na. Itni bhag daud, itni tension, sabko phone karna... tumhe aaram karna chahiye. So jao." She gave him a warm smile.

He placed his hand on her palm that rested on the bed besides the baby, "Thak toh tum bhi gayi thi. Mera kaam kuch bhi nahi tha uske aage jo tumne saha. Tum so jao main iska khyal rakh lunga."

She gave him an amused smile, "Tum? Kaise rakhoge?"

He straightened confidently, "Maine abhi dekha tumne iske neeche bichai hui sheets badli. Main bhi kar dunga. Aur kapde bhi change kar dunga."

"Achha? Kar loge akele?" Naina raised one brow.

"Haan bilkul." He said with surety.

She turned behind and picked up one nappy.

"Kaise bandhte hain isse?" She placed it in front of him.

He picked up the folded cloth. It turned out to be a flat triangular piece. He flipped it around to see what it was.

"Naina, yeh baby ke hankies aise kyon hain? Bade logon ke jaise square kyon nahi?" He was baffled.

The chuckle she was controlling spurted out loudly, "Hanky nahi hai buddhu, yeh nappy hai."

He was zapped. The cloth had no seams, no buttons, no zipper... how could a child wear it.

His eyes popped out when Naina folded in the corners and showed him how it could be done.

"Tum jaldi hi seekh jaoge. Mujhe bhi Bela chachi ne sikhaya." She gave him a comforting look after putting the nappy back in the basket.

Next time when the baby got up, she wasn't wet but playful. They watched her as she made jerking gestures with her arms and legs. He showed her some toys which made a tingling sound. The baby stilled for a moment, then kicked again. Sameer noticed that her fingers were clutched into tight fists. He held her wrist and pushed at the fist with his thumb. Her tiny fingers opened and wrapped around his thumb, holding it in a firm grip. His exhilaration reached another level as he gleefully grinned at Naina.

She stared at them with a fond smile... wondering who was whose toy.

He patted the baby to sleep a little later. But she was up again shortly, half an hour before dawn... and did not sleep again till others in the house were up too. After putting her to bed, Naina took bath while Sameer dozed off again. She woke him up to get ready before Phulla bua came to check on the baby.

Kabhi Toh Nazar Milao Part 3जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें