Chapter 4: Secrets in the Old Manor

There was someone else there? Mo Xuetong withdrew her hand as if she had been shocked. She looked at the dark alley. The door was closed and made it so that the area over there was dark and nothing could be seen clearly. She could vaguely make out a person wearing a leather robe. It looked like a young man.

"Big brother, you go first. I'll come soon." The man replied lazily, turning around slightly and blocking Mo Xuetong's line of sight. He smiled devilishly at Mo Xuetong and suddenly let go of the hand he placed in front of her. Then, he turned around, smoothened his robe and walked away jauntily."

The soft sounds of the two speaking could be heard.

"Eighth brother. It's a girl again. You'll make the old man angry if you keep doing this." said the warm and gentle voice.

"Anyway, this is my hobby. I have to stay and chat when I see a beautiful girl. I can't let her down, right. If he doesn't like it, there's nothing I can do about it either!" The lazy voice said carelessly.

...

As the voices moved further, Mo Xuetong felt sweaty. She had not realized it earlier because she was nervous and angry. Her legs felt weak as she held on to the wall and she almost fainted. She gritted her teeth for a while before the dizziness passed.

Mo Lan had already made her way back. She helped the weak Mo Xuetong and immediately got on the horse carriage after saying that the maid was feeling ill. The driver thought that it was odd for the girl had been fine when she entered but could not even stand on her feet when she got out. However, because of Mo Lan's status, the driver did not dare to say anything. He only listened to Mo Lan and tried his best to drive the carriage steadily.

The two entered the manor from the back door close to Qingwei Garden. They rounded another corridor and passed through the doors. A young maid wearing blue clothes suddenly appeared at the door. She heaved a sigh of relief when she saw Mo Xuetong. She came up and helped to hold Mo Xuetong and said softly, "Miss, Mother Xu was worried and asked me to wait here. Mo He got all the maids and old servants to another room to scold them. They are waiting for you to enter."

"There isn't anyone in the courtyard, is there?" Mo Lan asked since she knew that Mo Xuetong did not have much strength to speak.

"Old Madam sent an old woman to visit you. We said that you'd just fallen asleep and we should not startle you awake. We said that if you feel well when you wake up tomorrow, you'll visit Old Madam." Mo Yu said smartly.

Indeed, there was not a single person in the courtyard. Mother Xu had been waiting by the window. When she saw Mo Xuetong, she hurried out, she was almost worried to tears when she saw how weak Mo Xuetong was. Mo Xuetong smiled at her despite her exhaustion to show that she was fine.

Mo Yu and Mo Lan helped her to lie down after she drank a bowl of ginseng soup. They put down the muslin bed curtains before they slipped out with Mother Xu.

Despite being weak when she woke up the second day, she was feeling more awake. After washing up, she first went to greet Old Madam Qin and then went to Mdm Yu's. They did not ask her to stay since she was ill and asked her to rest well. Mo Xuetong acutely spotted the darkness in Mdm Yu's eyes and a hint of a smile appeared at her lips.

After leaving Mdm Yu's, she returned to her courtyard and gave Mother Xu and Mo He some orders. The two of them smiled and left to do their task.

"Mo Yu, has Cousin Xuan found me the rare orchid?" Mo Xuetong looked up with a smile from where she was sitting, leaning on the couch under the window.

In her last life, Qin Yuxuan had helped her to find a rare orchid and sent it to the capital to suck up to her father. However, the flower had not been appreciated. She only discovered when she returned to the manor that the rare orchid had ended up in the weeds in front of the servants' rooms and was no different that weed.