Chapter 92: Mo Huawen's Promotion

Nanny Hua had served the old madam since she was a child and had accompanied her as a servant after the old madam got married. Their relationship was unlike any other servant. She only spoke once everyone left.

"Old madam, don't be worried. I think First Miss is a smart one and she will think for herself. First Miss' maid, Mo Xiu called His Excellency away while the Duchess was speaking with you. I think First Miss has something to say to His Excellency. I heard that the relationship between the two is rather good and the Duchess likes First Miss as well. She would occasionally get His Excellency to bring food and things to First Miss. She would not mistreat First Miss."

Nanny Hua assured the old madam.

If two daughters from the manor became concubines, how would the other Mo daughters marry in the future!

The old madam was so angry earlier because the Duchess had only agreed to make Mo Xuemin a concubine. And she had said outright and also implied that Mo Xuetong should also be married into the Duke's Manor so that the two sisters can take care of each other. The Duke's Manor already had an unclear relationship with the concubine's daughter of the Mo Manor and it was still thinking of the family's main daughter. How could the old madam not be angry? Being a daughter of the Mo family was so cheap that it was buy one get two free.

After hearing what Nanny Hua had to say, the old madam calmed down and picked up the tea Nanny Hua brewed again. She took a sip and frowned with a dark expression on her face. She asked, "How was His Excellency's expression like when he returned?"

"His Excellency stood in the courtyard with his head lowered when he returned. I could not see his expression clearly, but he walked around the courtyard looking rather agitated. Then, he kicked the little servant by his side. Nothing else weird happened." Nanny Hua was standing in the corridor earlier. Even though she could not see Sima Lingyun's expression clearly, she could see his actions.

This meant that Sima Lingyun was very annoyed.

"Did Min'er and Sima Lingyun really have a secret relationship?" The old madam's face was lit by the flickering light and could not be seen clearly. Her eyes were dark.

"It seems so. But the Duchess was really weird. She is always considerate towards First Miss, but why is she like that now that First Miss is really going to marry into the family?" Nanny Hua asked carefully after she looked at the old madam's expression and felt that she was not as mad as before.

"Humph, she is just doing that for show. She must have been interested in Tong'er long ago! That's right. There's a main daughter around. Does she really want her son to marry a concubine's daughter and make her his main wife?" The old madam was not stupid. She understood then and pursed her lips, laughing coldly. The Duchess' love for Mo Xuemin was just to increase the contact between the two families. Her true target was the Mo family's main daughter.

"First Miss is a smart one and her reputation has always been good. It would not be considered overreaching if she were to become His Excellency's main wife. I heard the men saying that His Majesty's orders will come down soon. First Miss will not just be the daughter of a Fifth-grade officer then. Her being a match for His Excellency would not be a big problem." Nanny Hua said softly while she observed the old madam's expression.

The old madam's expression was still considered normal. Even though her expression brightened and darkened under the light, it was more grave than usual. She replied only after a while.

"Min'er is really an intelligent one, but she uses her intelligence in the wrong place. No wonder she said something like that to me in the day. There really isn't anything in the manor that she doesn't know about," The old madam said coldly.