Chapter 20: Sparing and Transaction

Bai Yihao looked at the charming young girl in front of him with his dark eyes. Her clear eyes were like clean waters without a single speck of dirt. Her long eyelashes fluttered and her eyes were calm. Her smile was still and beautiful. The girl who was so aloof but determined. It was something he had never seen before.

He had never thought that such a delicate and charming young girl could even look at him with such calm eyes. Her eyes were alert, nervous, but not hostile, and he could see some helplessness and bitterness in those beautiful eyes. They were deep, bright and sharp, and were completely different from her frail and lovely appearance.

Yet this made those around her hurt for her even more!

She seemed to be under too much pressure. Her calmness made her unlike those her age, and it was imposed on her by the outside world. The stubbornness in her eyes was barely visible, he could see it clearly. He came to a new decision in a split moment.

"Why do you think I will help you? A daughter of an eminent family making such an appointment with an unknown man would be bad for your reputation. " Bai Yihao smiled gently.

"I would not trouble sir if it was not urgent." Mo Xuetong looked at him quietly with doe-like eyes.

"Oh, what's the matter?"

"I'd first like to thank you for your help at the city gates. Please accept my gift of thanks." Mo Xuetong backed away and curtsied and took out a book from her sleeves. She handed to him respectfully. This was the best idea Mo Xuetong thought of, to get a promise out of him with a gift.

"It was just a small matter and a music book was enough. Miss Mo does not have to thank me again." Bai Yihao did not reach out to take the book. He placed his hands behind him and stood up. He looked at her deeply, light streaming down from the sun behind him. It made him look even more ethereal.

"Please help me again, sir. Your helping hand would be a great help to me." Mo Xuetong asked humbly. She knew it was him that day at the city gate when You Yuecheng had mentioned him. A person like this was indeed hard to touch, but this was the only idea she had.

Bai Yihao looked at her. His voice was so soft, it was like a lover's caress. However, the meaning behind his words was cold. "Why should I help you again? What has your business to do with me?"

"I am willing to give you a sacred military book." Mo Xuetong stretched out her hands and placed the ancient script closer to him.

Bai Yihao was not as indifferent as he looked. He had become a steel-willed emperor in the future. The military methods found in the book would definitely be more attractive to him than music manuscript. She had found the book in a hidden corner behind her mother's bed. He had ambitions, and this book was what he needed right now.

She had to appeal to him in order to get rid of Auntie Fang.

"I'm just a scholar, what do I need a military book for? Miss Mo, please go back." Bai Yihao's face darkened and he spoke coldly.

He was as gentle as water when he smiled. But with his current dark expression was cold. It was as if he were a cliff covered by thick fog. It was hundreds and thousands of meters deep and when she took a wrong step, she would fall into the abyss. He would not turn back then. There was a sharp and strong aura that pressed down on them, and it made her heart shudder.

"Sir Bai, do you just want to stay as a hostage in Qin? With your abilities, you would be able to achieve much. How could Qin lock up your ambitions? If in the future...wouldn't this book of military arts be useful for you?" Mo Xuetong forced herself to remain calm in the powerful atmosphere. She lifted up her pale face and looked at him firmly. Only her slightly trembling hands betrayed her frayed nerves.