Chapter 47: The Empress at the Flower Appreciation Banquet

All of them were startled by the sound of drumming. They glowered at the man who disturbed Bai Yihao's elegant piano music. They only realized it was King Xuan playing a prank when they saw the lazy and charming smile on his handsome face. They thought about how King Xuan was very much favored by Emperor Zongwen and did not dare to say much. Their angry stares turned into kind smiles instead.

The situation in the palace now was very much different from before. No one dared to offend King Xuan because he was the son Emperor Zongwen doted on the most.

There were only two princes who were of age by Emperor Zongwen's side in the past.

The eldest prince was King Chu, Feng Yuxuan and third prince, King Yan, Feng Yulei. They were the only two who had the ability to compete for the throne.

King Chu's mother was Concubine Su. She was the only person who was comparable to the Empress. Even though her maternal family were not from the Four Great Manors but were new money, the Su family were reputable in court because of Concubine Su's favored status. They were not any weaker than the Four Great Manors. Furthermore, the Eldest Prince was the oldest prince and was gentle and polite, which was why many thought that he had potential. Even though they did not support him wholly obviously, they showed their support more or less in private.

King Yan's situation was different from King Chu's. His mother was the Empress' sister who had died young. He was brought up by the Empress and had the Ding General Manor behind him. The power of the Ding General Manor and the Empress, as well as the Empress Dowager who acted behind the scenes, meant that no one dared to underestimate him. He was definitely the strongest in terms of power.

Compared to the gentleness and elegance of King Yan, King Chu seemed to be more simple. He was known to be interested in literature and poetry. He was known to be a celebrity. The two of them were formidable characters.

If there were no accidents, one of the two of age princes would get the throne!

While King Xuan, Feng Yuran, who had suddenly appeared, was much doted on by Emperor Zongwen, everyone treated him as a regular prince.

His lack of support on his maternal side was his greatest weakness. Concubine Xian, who was said to be extremely beautiful, was just a girl from a wealthy family. Even though she had become a doted concubine, she could not raise her family's status. It was obvious from this that her family were not very capable. Without the support of a powerful maternal family in court, he would not be able to shine.

Furthermore, he was willful and had a reputation of being a philanderer soon after he returned. He had once visited all the famous brothels in the capital within a day and brought the most beautiful courtesans back to his manor. Emperor Zongwen was so angry he locked him up for two weeks. However, he did not stop after that and would occasionally cause trouble with his womanizing behavior.

He had a reputation for being a womanizer at such a young age, and many who have seen him felt that it was such a pity for he was extremely handsome! Such a handsome youth who had such a noble status did not intend to improve himself and get a court position. Instead, he was only interested in sex. How could others not feel that it is a waste?

The Empress pursed her lips in disdain. She clicked her fingers lightly on the table to signal the palace maids by her side and then stood up. Eunuchs and palace maids had already gone to help her up and leave.

The palace maid following behind her immediately understood. When she brought her servants away, she took two steps up and appeared before the crowd. She said loudly, "The Empress has given her orders. The ladies mentioned below are to see her at Xiayun Hall." Then, she took out a list and called out a dozen names.