Chapter 94: Mo Xuetong Faints

Indeed, a hesitant expression appeared on Mo Huawen's face, replacing the look of shock. After a moment, he asked, "If Min'er's face was not revealed, why does everyone know that it was her that Sima Lingyun carried?"

Everyone present said it was Min'er.

"It was said that the scene was really chaotic then, I could not go over because of my ban. I heard people say after that that everyone called out for Third Miss when His Excellency Sima carried a person out. They all thought it was Third Miss because only Third Miss was inside the ancestral hall then. Who else could it be if it was not Third Miss His Excellency Sima saved from the fire? Then, Third Miss came out from the room beside the ancestral hall, and everyone realized that it was not Third Miss. I don't know who called out and said that it was First Miss. After that, everyone found out it was Min'er. It is such a pity, for Min'er had gone to send food to Third Miss out of the goodness of her heart but had gotten into such big trouble. How is she going to live in the future?"

Auntie Fang could not help but cry when she spoke about this. She covered her face with her handkerchief and started sobbing.

Mo Huawen did not speak.

This was really an unexpected calamity that had befallen Min'er. The incident would not have happened if she had not been trying to be kind. Mo Huawen disliked Sima Lingyun the most. The lad used to be polite to him in the past, but how could his behavior be so unmanly.

Even if the Duchess had said something like that, he only had to do what he had to. Min'er would not be relegated to this current state where people gossiped about her. He had already gotten information about how bad the gossip was. The rumors about his daughter were terrible and Mo Huawen was furious.

He felt that his talented and gentle eldest daughter had her reputation ruined by Sima Lingyun.

"Old Sir, the Duchess said that Min'er's status is not high enough and she can only be a concubine." Auntie Fang's last statement made Mo Huawen anxious. He was so angry he almost could not breathe. Was the Duke's Manor trying to get Tong'er to marry into their family as well? His two daughters would marry into the Duke's Manor as main wife and concubine. Did they really think they were that powerful?

"Min'er will definitely not become a concubine in the Duke's Manor." Mo Huawen said angrily. The green veins on his face twitched. If Mo Xuemin were to become a concubine, it would not only be a hinderance to his position as a governor, everyone would look down on Feng'er when he joins the government. If he had an elder sister who was a concubine in the Duke's Manor, he would not be able to hold his head up high ever again.

"But, what are we going to do if we don't do this?" Auntie Fang looked up pitifully and helplessly at Mo Huawen. Her eyes were read and filled with unshed tears. She was beautiful, and she looked as if she was in trouble and did not know what to do. Even though she was not showing yet, she held a hand against her waist and looked up at him.

A woman who was weak and helpless would be doted on most by men. Indeed, Mo Huawen's eyes grew gentler and stopped at her stomach. He reached out to help her sit and comforted her, "I will settle this matter. Don't worry about it. Anyway, I won't let the Duke's Manor ill-treat Min'er. She is both talented and beautiful and she is so kind. Sima Lingyun does not deserve her."

His intent to protect Min'er made Auntie Fang so happy that she almost forgot to pretend to be weak and gentle. Fortunately, her reaction was fast and she hurried to pull Mo Huawen to sit down with her. The two chatted for a while. Mo Huawen told her to take care of herself and said that he would handle Mo Xuemin's situation.

Then, Mo Huawen visited Mo Xuemin's Fuqing Garden. When he arrived, he realized that the doors to Fuqing Garden were tightly shut. He opened the doors to find a servant guarding the door. She bowed and greeted Mo Huawen respectfully when she saw him. When Mo Huawen asked about Mo Xuemin, she replied that she had gone to kneel in the ancestral hall early in the morning and has not returned.