Chapter 185

Chapter 185 The Sachet, A Token of Love

It was not that she felt bad for Mo Xuemin. If the two daughters of the Mo Manor could only become concubines, then Mo Xueyan, whom she doted on the most, who was the daughter of a businessman, would not be able to marry well. They had come to the capital so that Mo Xueyan could go with Mo Xuemin to the banquet. There, she would be able to gain knowledge or perhaps find a good marriage.

However, she did not expect Mo Xuemin to keep getting into trouble. Even if her reputation was not ruined, it was not stellar. If she let Mo Xueyan follow Mo Xuemin around, it would drag down Mo Xueyan's reputation. It would not be appropriate for Mo Xueyan to follow Mo Xuetong around either. Firstly, Mo Xuetong had just come to the capital and her health was poor. She did not know many people in the capital and usually needed someone to take care of her. Where would she find the energy to introduce Mo Xueyan to good people?

Furthermore, while Mo Xuetong was young, she looked beautiful, gentle, and delicate. The Old Madam knew that men like girls like this the most. Mo Xueyan was not as beautiful as her and was not even as beautiful as Mo Xuetong's maids. Who would take notice of her?

She had come to the capital to find Mo Xueyan a good marriage and to send Lan Xinru before Mo Huawen. She wanted her to become Mo Huawen's wife.

Whether Mo Xuemin became a concubine or not had nothing to do with the Old Madam. However, when she realized that it would affect Mo Xueyan's marriage, the Old Madam was determined to object to it. Even if Mo Xuemin had to become a nun or had to die at home to maintain her innocence, the Old Madam would not allow her to become a concubine at the Duke Zhenguo's Manor. As such, she insisted on defaming Sima Lingyun's character.

"Mother, I understand what you mean. I will definitely find another way to deal with this matter since we have already had a falling out with Duke Zhenguo's manor, and Qiong'er and Min'er do not want to marry him. While my daughters might be concubine's daughters, they can still become the legal wife of some lower-ranked officials. The Duke Zhenguo's Manor cannot treat them any way they want." Mo Huawen felt disgusted by Sima Lingyun, and he was determined to settle this matter.

"Alright, then that's decided. After all, you men are more knowledgeable about things outside the manor. I am an old woman of the inner courtyards and cannot help you much. But, look at your inner courtyard now. There isn't even an official home keeper. The young ladies of your household were all taught by concubines and they all want to become one. It does not reflect well on you. Right now, the only one who has good prospects is Tong'er. You must not let those Aunties lead her astray." The Old Madam changed the topic and sighed.

"Mother, your teachings are right. My inner courtyard is indeed a little messy. I have already told the aunties not to go to Tong'er's Qingwei Garden if they do not have business there. I plan to clean out a courtyard. Qiong'er has been with Auntie Qing all these years and hasn't improved. She might as well move out alone. There are a few empty courtyards in the north-west area. While it's rather unfrequented, it is also very quiet. It is a good place for a person to cultivate her moral character. Qiong'er and Min'er can both stay there." Mo Huawen felt angry when he thought of how Mo Xueqiong was to become Sima Lingyun's concubine.

The Old Madam knew of that corner. She had wanted Lan Xinru to go there. However, it was too desolated, so it had not happened. She had not expected Mo Huawen to place his two daughters there. She knew that he was furious this time. As such, she sighed and nodded.

She said, "Since you have already decided, then do that. It is just that you have to have a proper mistress in your inner courtyard. Luo Xia has already passed away for more than a year. You have been a widow for so long, it is considered answering to the General's Manor. I have only heard of wives remaining a widow for their husbands and never the other way round. Furthermore, the inner courtyard is in such a mess. Even if you do not think for yourself, you have to think of the children. After the new year, the children will be serious about getting married. Do you intend to have a concubine deal with all of that?"