Chapter 10: Defeating the Hypocritical Elder Sister

Mo Xuemin felt threatened when she saw the suspicious gazes of the people around them. She wrung her handkerchief and her heart skipped a beat. However, she could only watch as the maid moved to pull the curtains open.

The two maids moved quickly. They went up to tug at the curtains forcefully. The blue cloth curtains were pulled down and floated onto the ground.

Everyone stared at the empty carriage with wide eyes. They could not help but gasp. There were no knickknacks inside. In fact, there was nothing in the empty carriage.

"I came from Cloud City which is a distance away. But I would rather let the maids all squeeze in a carriage and leave the last carriage empty. Do you think I'm stupid?" Mo Xuetong had been waiting for this scene. Then, she said angrily, "Or does elder sister think that I've come to the capital just to knock someone down intentionally and cause trouble? Is that why you claimed that I knocked someone down without even clarifying things?"

There was no confusion about the situation. It was obvious that the driver was framing the third miss of the Mo family.

And, the actions of the eldest miss of the Mo family was also unusual. The ladies in the other horse carriages all listened intently and started to think deeply.

The other people present no longer scolded Mo Xuetong. Instead, they all looked at Mo Xuemin. Many were looking at her suspiciously.

Mo Xuemin was also looking at the empty carriage incredulously while scolding Auntie Fang for being stupid in her heart. She could have put a few trunks or random trash in. How could she leave the carriage empty? Wouldn't this make it obvious that they were plotting against Mo Xuetong!

"Third sister..." Mo Xuemin's expression was awkward. She wanted to explain when she saw the reactions of those around them.

"Nanny Shen, how are the laws like in the capital? In Cloud City, if something like this cheating case that ruins the reputation of a daughter of an official happens, they would have their possessions taken away and be whipped 50 times," Mo Lan winked and said to nanny Shen.

The old man who had been knocked down suddenly grew anxious. His eyes moved shiftily and he started to look around.

Nanny Shen immediately understood what Mo Lan was up to. She replied just as loudly, "The laws in the capital are of course stricter than Cloud City. We are right under the eyes of the emperor, and yet someone had dared to commit such a crime so blatantly. In cases of cheating, 50 whippings are not enough. They would also be marked and their family would become slaves and would never be able to raise their heads up high again."

The marking punishment in the Great Qin was carving words on one's face. Once this was done, they would be deemed criminals for life and even their descendants would become lower class citizens.

The driver's face paled immediately. On the other side, the old man who had been knocked down looked pale as well. His injured leg was standing on the ground and if one looked closely, it was trembling slightly.

"Third sister must be joking. I was wrong. I thought it looked like our carriage. But I have wronged third sister." Mo Xuemin's face twitched slightly. She had calmed down and did not bother to explain again. She walked over warmly and with concern, holding Mo Xuetong's hand looking as if she was placating someone. She said gently, "Third sister had just returned to the capital and it is rather unlucky for you to have encountered such a thing. It's not good to make a fuss of the matter. If you go to court, others might speak badly of you and say that you want to create trouble. Father will not be happy about this."

The driver and the old man relaxed slightly when they heard that they did not have to go to court. They looked at each other secretly and both looked happy.