Chapter 196

Chapter 196 Breaking News. The Imperial Consort Selection

There was a hotpot in the center of the table because it was the winter. There were also some fruits such as mandarins.

The maids peeled the mandarins and served them to their mistresses.

Chen Ya'er turned around and smiled at Ling Rui'er. "Elder Sister Ling, why isn't Second Miss Ling here today? I heard that Her Majesty dotes on her the most. I heard that she treats Second Miss Ling even better than First Miss Ling?"

"Her Majesty, my aunt, naturally dotes on my elder sister more than First Sister. How could First Sister's character and beauty compare to my elder sister's? My aunt has always liked my elder sister since she was young. I went to the palace to visit my aunt with my elder sisters some time ago. My aunt even gave my eldest sister and a pair of really exquisite earrings. Only my sister received earrings and a pair of jade bangles." Ling Rui'er glanced at Mo Xuetong with satisfaction.

"Ling Mingyan is the legal daughter of Duke Ding's First Wife. Ling Fengyan and Ling Rui'er are legal daughters of the duke's second wife. They usually do not get along." Luo Mingzhu said to Mo Xuetong softly as she passed a golden mandarin to the maid behind her.

No wonder the way she addressed them was so complicated. Their relationship was very different!

Mo Xuetong accepted a slice of mandarin Mo Yu passed her. She placed it to the side. She did not like eating mandarins, so she gestured at Mo Yu to stop peeling them.

Chen Ya'er said enviously. "Miss Ling, I met your sister at the Empress Dowager's banquet. She is beautiful and poised. It's great to have an elder sister like that!"

Ling Rui'er grew even more pleased and she glanced at Mo Xuetong. Then, she said loudly, "That's right. Having an elder sister like this is definitely something to be proud of. If I have an elder sister who is immoral, I would be too embarrassed to leave the house."

She was talking about Mo Xuemin!

"Younger Sister Ling, are you talking about First Miss Mo?" You Yue'e said meaningfully.

The incident had already become a big deal. Even though a few days had passed, it still had not died down. One of the parties involved was the Marquess of Zhengguo while the other was the famous talented daughter of the Mo Family. Furthermore, it was a scandal. Even though Mo Xuemin had appeared to be protecting herself, the reputation of a woman was very important. Mo Xuemin's reputation was considered to have been ruined. If she did not marry Sima Lingyun, she could only become a nun.

"I heard that First Miss Mo used to be a gentle, elegant, beautiful and talented woman. She used to be publicly acknowledged to be a beauty. However, her reputation has gone downhill since Third Miss Mo entered the capital!" Ling Rui'er said with a laugh.

She was implying that Mo Xuemin's current predicament was caused by Mo Xuetong.

They were going to gang up against her!

Mo Xuetong smiled lightly and replied, "It can be seen from here that the so-called beauty and talent is not really so. One must not believe in rumors so easily."

Ling Rui'er had only been flaunting about how her elder sister was the most beautiful woman in the capital. This statement from Mo Xuetong was like a slap to her face! Her expression changed immediately and she said furiously, "Third Miss Mo, what do you mean?"

"Miss Ling, I am saying whatever it is you mean." Mo Xuetong said lightly. Her eyes were as clear as water and showed no signs of relenting. If she were to endure being bullied, she would not need to attend any gathering with the noble ladies of the capital in the future. She would forever be a joke to them.