Chapter 17: Cousins of the General Manor Meet

"Fa-father!" Mo Xueqiong was so frightened that her face had gone white.

"Father!" Mo Xuetong bit her lips and looked as if she was trying to smile despite being wronged. However, her red eyes and forced happiness made others pity her even more. Mo Huawen glared at Mo Xueqiong angrily when he thought of how she had scolded Mo Xuetong. Then, he walked over and stroked Mo Xuetong's hair tenderly. "Tong'er how did you sleep last night?"

"Thank you Father. I slept well! I even woke up late!" Mo Xuetong sniffed and tried to tone down her sobs. She looked up and pulled on Mo Huawen's teal robe. Then, she smiled softly and in a pleasing manner, said, "Father, don't scold Fourth sister. She and Eldest sister are just teaching Tong'er how to do things. They're not really bullying Tong'er!"

She had dealt with Mo Xueqiong and Mo Xuemin in one swoop.

Her words shocked Mo Xuemin. She was just about to reply when Mo Huawen's face darkened and he started to lecture. "Min'er, even though you are the eldest daughter in the manor, you should understand that Tong'er is my only legal child. Even if there's anything that she's done wrong, you can only point it out tastefully. How can you and your sister scold Tong'er? You don't even know your status."

Mo Xuemin's heart grew cold and a trace of hatred flashed in her eyes. Then, immediately, a gentle smile appeared on her face and she said apologetically, "Yes, Father is right to scold us. Min'er is wrong and I didn't manage to stop Third sister and Fourth sister from bickering. Please punish me!"

"Father, it is Tong'er's fault. It is all Tong'er's fault. Father shouldn't scold Eldest sister and Fourth sister because of this. We were just teasing each other. Father, look, Tong'er doesn't mind. I don't mind at all." Mo Xuetong tugged on Mo Huawen's robes looking like a mischievous little girl. Even though her eyes were teary, she smiled like a beautiful flower, making it seem as if she was trying hard to look as if she did not mind.

Mo Huawen was filled with love for his daughter when he saw how sensible and adorable she was. He reached out to pat her hand and her voice grew gentle. "Alright, I will listen to Tong'er. But they must not forget your status. Tong'er, you must remember, you are not like them. You are the only legal child in this manor. So don't be afraid. Tell me if anything comes up. I will help you."

This was not just simple words to comfort her, but he was obviously siding with her. This made Mo Xueqiong wring her handkerchief, almost tearing it into shreds. She hated the girl so much she wanted to claw at Mo Xuetong's beautiful and innocent face.

The hate and venom in Mo Xuemin's eyes were not any lesser than Mo Xueqiong. However, she had to maintain a gentle smile and she said elegantly and gracefully, "Father is right to scold us. Min'er will definitely protect Third sister in the future so that others will not look down on her."

"Thank you, Eldest sister. Tong'er will definitely get along well with you and Fourth sister in the future." Mo Xuetong released Mo Huawen's robe and made a light bow to Mo Xuemin gratefully.

Mo Huawen could not help but smile when he saw the girls smiling at each other. He had always quite like his eldest daughter. She was kind, gentle and generous, and behaved like how noble young ladies should. It was a pity she was just a daughter of a concubine. It was a waste of her talent. He had wanted to marry Auntie Fang after his mourning period for Luo Xia to raise Min'er's status.

However, Mo Huawen was slightly hesitant now.

Could Auntie Fang truly love Tong'er? Those missing letters and how Tong'er was being bullied just after she arrived home were thorns in Mo Huawen's heart! He frowned.

Mo Xuetong could see that Mo Huawen was unhappy and she did not continue. There were some views that could not be completely changed by a single incident.