Chapter 68: The Agreement Between Father and Second Uncle

Mo Xuetong did not expect that she would have to return home so quickly. The next morning, the Mo Manor sent news for her to return home, saying that they have a visitor. They did not state who had visited and only said vaguely that it was an elder. She was not too sure either and it confused her.

Since an elder was visiting the Mo family, Old Madam Xu could not keep her any longer. She could only hold on to Mo Xuetong's hand, reluctant for her to leave as she told her to visit often in the future.

When she returned to her courtyard, there were a few maids arranging things. She only had a wicker case when she came, but had many things when she returned. She now had five or six wicker cases.

Mo Xuetong ordered Mo Lan to keep everything and told Mo Lan to bid Xu Yan goodbye. She had returned the favor to Xu Yan in Mo Huawen's name, gifting her a few bolts of quality fabric. She was polite and said that it was because Xu Yan had gifted her with her own fabric the other day, so her father had picked out fabric to return the favor.

Everyone would feel that it was odd for a man to pick out fabric especially to return a favor done to his daughter. And the person receiving it was his own sister-in-law. However, Mo Xuetong spoke innocently about how Mo Huawen praised Xu Yan and had picked fabric that suited her disposition. She even said that she had told her father that only a beautiful person like Xu Yan would be able to show how beautiful the colors of the fabric were.

Her words were a little direct and Xu Yan flushed, not daring to say anything else to Mo Xuetong. She refused the bolts of cloth before finally accepting them. She even gifted Mo Xuetong with a jade tray to wash brushes that had flowers carved into it.

The tray was very beautiful but was not in the style that young ladies favored. There were snow plum blossoms carved into it and seemed rather masculine. From the way it looked, it was obvious that it was an antique that had been passed down for many generations. It was definitely a Xu family heirloom. However, it did not look like the sleek and delicate style that noble ladies used.

Mo Xuetong immediately understood and thanked Xu Yan especially. She said that her father's study was missing such a decoration and that she would accept it on behalf of her father. She would even bring Mo Huawen with her tomorrow to return the favor. Xu Yan was so shy that she did not say anything else but sat there with a flush.

When she saw Xu Yan blushing furiously, Mo Xuetong knew that she could not rush things. She smiled and returned with her maids. She had originally been thinking about how to persuade Mo Huawen to thank Xu Yan for the gifts, but someone had visited the Mo family unexpectedly. She got Mo He to apologize to Xu Yan and went to bid farewell to the elders of the Luo family.

She went to her grandmothers, second aunt and Luo Mingzhu's. She was hesitating about whether she should go to her second uncle when someone came to tell her that the Second Sir was asking for her. This was the first time her second uncle had gotten someone to get her, which shocked Old Madam Xu as well.

The servant who came said, "Second Sir is in the study and he requests for your presence."

He did not say anything else.

Mo Xuetong could count on one hands how many times she has seen her second uncle since she moved to the Fu General Manor. She only saw him from afar and even when they chatted, it was a light conversation. Her second uncle had always been so distant and composed in her memory. One could not see when he was happy or not.

However, this made Mo Xuetong somewhat afraid. She felt that Luo Bin's deep eyes seemed to be able to see through everything.

The Second Sir of the Luo Family, Luo Bin, was considered a famous person. He was a third-grade officer in court and was a subordinate of the head of the Ministry of Justice. Even though he was not a first-grade officer, he was still a capable person Nobody would like to be entangled with the Ministry of Justice and be looked up by them.