Chapter 33: The Mess at the Family Rites (2)

Mo Huawen harrumphed and said, "Mo Lan, tell me what's wrong with Tong'er. Have you all not taken good care of her and now she's sick?"

"I do not dare!" Mo Lan said fearfully. She did not dare to say anything else. However, her gaze landed on Mo Xuetong's collar for a few moments. She looked as if she had something to say but was hesitant to.

Mo Huawen felt a surge of anger when he saw that Mo Lan obviously wanted to say something but shut her mouth fearfully. Then, he looked at Mo Xuetong who was obviously in pain but did not say anything about it. Her face was pale and she looked weak. He roared, "Servants, take the two maids down and give them 20 beatings each."

Two servants immediately appeared behind him. They went up to drag Mo Lan and Mo Yu away emotionlessly.

Mo Xuetong reached out to stop Mo Huawen when she saw that.

"Father, hold on. It is Mo'er's fault. It has nothing to do with them." Mo Xuetong explained hurriedly as she came up from her prostrate position and looked up.

Everyone saw that her face was as pale as snow and that she was dripping in cold sweat. It was obvious that she had been in pain. Even so, her clear eyes had a trace of stubbornness in their fragileness. Her long dark lashes fluttered up and she bit her lips anxiously, drawing blood. She smiled and looked strong despite the pain she was in.

"What's wrong with Third Miss? Why didn't you tell me when you're not feeling well? We can just get First Miss to greet the guests for you. It's lucky I made First Miss another set of clothes. We will just get First Miss to replace Third Miss. The two maids are too much. Your mistress is so ill and you didn't even help her and made her stay here. She's a girl, it'd be terrible if she got hurt!" Auntie Fang who had been inside rushed out. She hid the viciousness in her eyes and said warmly. She ordered two older maids to come to help Mo Xuetong, wanting to move her away.

She had done something to coax Mo Huawen. Lihua Garden was calm and peaceful recently.

Auntie Fang pushed for Mo Xuemin to take Mo Xuetong's place. Her daughter was so outstanding and was doted on by Mo Huawen.

If Mo Xuemin could kneel at the door and greet the guests with the status as the daughter of the main branch of the family, her son would be able to come out as well. He would no longer be looked down upon as the son of a concubine. When the status of her son and daughter was elevated, her position would naturally be elevated as well. Furthermore, if Mo Xuetong did not stay for the family rites because of her health, the various rumors would be enough to ruin her reputation.

Auntie Fang was not afraid that the tampering of Mo Xuetong's clothing would be discovered.

The clothes were bad. But so what if the threads were coarse? It was clothing made of coarse cloth, so how exquisite could it be. Who would be able to discover its hidden secrets once she took it off? Auntie Fang trusted that no one here would be able to recognize the amazing "Heavenly Silkworm Needle".

Could Mo Xuetong blame her father's concubine for not giving her good silk clothing to wear at the family rites?! This was one of the reasons why Auntie Fang had dared to bully Mo Xuetong so openly. She hated Mo Xuetong very much, especially in the past few days. There was viciousness hidden in her eyes. This time, Mo Xuetong would not be able to marry well. She would control the little slut from now on.

"Stop!" Mo Xuetong's expression cooled when she saw the two maids reaching out to pull her. She spoke coldly, and her eyes were dark as she looked up at Auntie Fang. Auntie Fang felt cold dread filling her and she took a step back.

"Father, I am not ill!" She turned to smile gently at Mo Huawen. She reached out to take a handkerchief Mo Yu handed her and wiped the sweat off her face elegantly. She smiled adorably but only looked extremely haggard.