Chapter 159

Chapter 159 The Love Poem at the Banquet

"Third Sister, what poem have you written? Do you want to recite it for us to appreciate?" Mo Xuemin was very pleased when she saw the ladies around them were still washing their hands, and she could not help but ask with a smile.

"Eldest Sister, you are joking. How would I know how to write a poem. I only know a few words, I don't even know how to put them together to make a poem. Judging by Eldest Sister's speed, I know that your poem is definitely good. You must teach me if you have time in the future, or I would embarrass you when there are such banquets again." Mo Xuetong smiled like a beautiful flower, intentionally raising her voice as she spoke respectfully.

She had really not put much thought in her poem. Mo Xuemin had to be the star of the show tonight.

Mo Xuemin rather liked what Mo Xuetong said and she pretended to show concern to Mo Xuetong, saying, "Third Sister, it is your fault that you don't know how to write. You have been living in Cloud City and father was busy with official matters. He did not even hire you a nanny. It is normal for you to not know many things. When Father is less busy, I will suggest to him to find you a nanny to teach you."

The ladies of wealthy families have all been hired nannies at a young age. The nannies would teach them how to behave and the ways of women and wives. They would study how to manage a household and learn the Classics for Women and how to behave appropriately. They would also study music, chess, reading, and painting...They all studied these from young. It would be too late for them to start when they were older.

No family would want a girl who did not know anything and was a girl whom her father did not love. They did not want a daughter-in-law who was useless to their family.

As such, when Mo Xuemin said that, the other Madams who heard what she said all looked at Mo Xuetong with disdain. A few of them even sized up Mo Xuemin. She was a talented concubine's daughter and was doted upon by her father. She might even become a legal daughter and was actually a rather good catch.

Mo Xuemin's smile grew even softer when she sensed the Madams looking at her. She seemed even more gracious and the pleased expression she had disappeared completely, leaving behind a gentle and humble smile. She sat there graciously and the Madams who looked at her were rather pleased with her. They thought about sending someone to the Mo Manor to ask about her.

"Many thanks, Eldest Sister." Mo Xuetong did not seem to mind at all. The smile on her face was innocent and childish and gave others a good impression of her. She continued, "No wonder I always hear others say that you are very talented. You have written such a good poem. How impressive! If it were me, I wouldn't be able to come up with such a good poem even in ten days or two weeks. Just a glance at your poem gives one lingering feelings."

The higher her praises, the greater Mo Xuemin's fall would be!

Mo Xuemin's sincere smile and incessant praises for Mo Xuemin displeased the other noble ladies by the side.

Those in attendance today were mostly third-grade officials and above. Other than that, were descendants of those who had done meritorious service for the nation. Mo Huawen was not one of them but was a third-grade official, which was why he could attend. Sima Hyan could attend because she was the former. Sima Lingyun was waiting to be made Duke.

The old Zhenguo Duke had died a long time ago, and Sima Lingyun, as the Duke's son should have long become the Zhenguo Duke. However, because of various reasons, the Emperor had not brought it up. His subordinates did not dare to say anything as well. Sima Lingyun had been the Zhenguo Marquess for 20 years.

But tonight, news in the palace said that it was possible for Sima Lingyun to become the new Zhengguo Duke. As such, Sima Lingyun had not only come today, but he had also brought his sister who rarely appeared in public along. The Duchess had not come because she was feeling unwell.