Chapter 42: Miss Ling Mingyan

Even though the Empress did not have any sons, she was in a position of power. No one dared to defy her. Even if a prince were to inherit the throne, she would still be the Empress Dowager. As she had no sons, she could avoid the fights in the palace. After all, no matter what, she would still be respected as the Empress Dowager. This would definitely allow those from the Ding General Manor to rest assured.

However, this was only what is on the surface. As for what was really happening, no one really knew. It was indeed a regret to not have any sons. Even though she would be the Empress Dowager, she was still upset to not have any sons. She did not interfere with the matters of the concubines but was focused on praying to Buddha and living in purity.

Mo Xuetong frowned slightly. Ling Mingyan's words were full of challenge. She had just returned to the capital, so how had she offended Ling Mingyan? This was her first time attending a banquet and it was organized by the palace. If she clashed with Ling Mingyan because of this matter, someone would definitely use it against her. It would also show that she was being petty and that she had a nasty character.

If the Empress found out about it, it would impact her negatively. However, if she did not say anything, others would think that she was cowardly and weak, and that they could bully her. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. This was not something Ling Mingyan, whom she had nothing against, could do. She looked around and indeed, a familiar figure approached them from a fake mountain in the distance. Mo Xuemin was coming!

She smiled gently and elegantly and came to a decision. She said, "Older sisters, don't fight anymore. How did this Miss get to know me? Why have you come to find me?"

Everyone looked at Ling Mingyan suspiciously when they heard her say that. Even though they had guessed that this was the useless and untalented main daughter of the Mo Manor, this was still the first time they have met her. How did Ling Mingyan know who she was at first glance? Listening to what Third Miss Mo was saying, she did not know Ling Mingyan. So how did Ling Mingyan know that she was the Third Miss of the Mo family!

Some of the people looked at Mo Xuetong pityingly when they thought of how she was being challenged the first time she attended a banquet and how Ling Mingyan was being so arrogant for no reason. It was obvious that she had been egged on by someone! Third Miss Mo had been plotted against!

"Do you really think nobody knows who you are? First Miss Mo told me that you are her sister. Are you not going to admit that?" Ling Mingyan tilted her chin up in disdain and smirked. Ling Mingyan had been angry ever since she found out that this was the person who had brought up her past mistakes and had made You Yuecheng unhappy and refusing to marry her.

A long time had passed since the incident in which she had knocked someone down with her horse. The matter had slowly been buried as the Ding General Manor tried to hide it. However, You Yuecheng witnessed Third Miss Mo knocking down someone at the city gate and had gone home to refuse the marriage offer from the Ding General Manor. The prideful Ling Mingyan seethed with hate.

She had liked You Yuecheng since she was a child. She had presented herself as You Yuecheng's fiancee to others long ago and accompanied You Yuecheng everywhere. You Yuecheng hated her because she had knocked down someone because of who she was. He had not brought her along when they went out to the countryside. When he returned, he had refused the marriage proposal the two manors were discussing. Ling Mingyan had come today with anger in her heart.

She was intentionally making things difficult for Mo Xuetong. If this woman had not knocked down someone with her carriage, You Yuecheng would not have been reminded of the past and be so unfeeling. It was all this woman's fault. She would not let her off easily.